Managed Advisor

Tyler Gates '14 manages Edward Jones office in Massachusetts

Nearly three years after graduating from MBS with a degree in accounting, Tyler Gates ’14 has entered the investment world. He is a financial advisor and manager at the Edward Jones office in Woburn, Massachusetts.

Gates joined the company in August 2015 and has been in charge of the Woburn office since May 2016. A native of Peru, Maine, he lives in Brighton, Mass.

“Turning the key to my own office for the first time was one of the best moments of my life,” he says.

Why do you enjoy your job?

I like knowing I can have a positive impact on my clients’ financial health by providing strategies and ideas to help them make the most of their investment portfolios.

I am fortunate to have my own branch and grateful for the opportunity to run a successful and productive business. It’s very motivating and it gives me something to work towards.

What are some of the challenges?

The biggest challenge for me has been keeping a work life balance since I tend to work long hours as I try to establish myself. I always remind myself that nothing great comes easy.

A mentor once told me, “If it was easy, everyone would do it!”

The company has set me up with mentors who have been extremely helpful. I’ve been able to ask for advice and bounce ideas off them. It’s important to use people as resources: everyone has something to bring to the table.

What does a typical day look like?

My duties are those of a typical new business owner. As it is only me and my branch office administrator working to become established in this new area, we both take on many roles on a daily basis. I focus on business building activities while she focuses on administrative work and problem solving.

No two days are the same, but I have learned to adapt as I concentrate on developing a presence in the community and building a client base. I drop in on local businesses, knock on doors in residential areas and attend networking events. Once I have established a relationship, I cultivate potential clients by calling regularly to build opportunity by saying hello and keeping them up to speed on what’s been going on in the market.

I meet hundreds of people each week and put them on a two-three week contact plan, so it sometimes takes several months before I can turn them into clients. Although it’s a slow process, it’s rewarding to see that I’m finally starting to have productive conversations and regularly earning people’s business.

What was your career path?

My first job after graduating from MBS was working behind the scenes at Atlantic Fund Services in Portland, Maine. I was a mutual fund analyst, helping price the daily net asset value of a mutual fund. It exposed me to the stock market and made me realize that I wanted to work with people on a personal level. I was there for a little more than a year.

I looked around at other opportunities and realized I liked Edward Jones because the company is structured around putting the client first.

We concentrate on long term investors and aim to go above and beyond to keep them satisfied. Also, since we’re a private firm, we don’t sell our own products, which means we can focus solely on our clients.

How does your MBS education help your job?

Although my accounting classes gave me a great foundation, my finance classes gave me some exposure to the kind of work I am doing now. There was a lot of new material that I had to learn to become a financial advisor, including passing a series of exams. So, I essentially taught myself a new field. But my business education taught me how to learn, think for myself and work independently, as well as how to present myself. Through the team projects, I was able to develop my communication skills, and thanks to the class presentations, I was able to improve my public speaking skills. I also liked that the MBS faculty has years of real world experience that they incorporate into each lesson.