MBS student active at UMaine

Beginning her sophomore year at MBS, Amy Lyons is making the most of her time at the University of Maine.  She is president of the Class of 2018, serves in the General Student Senate and the Class Council, plays flute in the University Orchestra, is president of the Sophomore Eagles Honor Society, and works part-time at the Emera Astronomy Center.  She still finds time to be active and involved at the business school. With a double major in business and international affairs, she serves as vice president of alumni relations for MBS Corps and is a member of the American Marketing Association (AMA) and Net Impact.  “MBS never sleeps — there always is something going on for students, whether opportunities to boost career goals, volunteer with local charities, or learn about the environmental aspects of business,” she said.

What is your hometown?
I was born in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia but grew up mostly in Brunswick, Maine.

What are your career goals?
I’m pursuing my dream of becoming an environmental lawyer, but business law is another interest of mine.

Why do you enjoy MBS?
The teachers here are all fantastic. Professor Nory Jones was my first business teacher and helped me become accustomed to college life. She also introduced me to MBS Corps, the business school’s outreach organization that is involved with many local charities. Professor Terry Porter encouraged me to become involved with Net Impact, a student group dedicated to using business to create a more socially and environmentally sustainable world.

What other extracurricular activities have you been involved in?
Last semester I was vice president of my Complex Leadership Committee for the Honors Balentine-Colvin-Penobscot complex in which we put on a variety of programs to encourage new friendships among residents and inspire them to become involved in complex activities.

How do you think MBS/UMaine is preparing you for a career and for life after graduation?
At MBS I am learning the fundamentals of various business disciplines as well as effective oral and written communication skills, problem solving and analytical thinking skills, and leadership skills. Thanks to class projects, I’m also learning about how to work in teams. I really enjoy the experiential learning opportunities. I’m learning soft skills, too. For example, at a recent etiquette training seminar hosted by the AMA, I learned proper behavior and protocol for formal occasions. I’m also getting networking experience since the class council and general student senate are all about interacting and making connections with a variety of people both on and off campus.

What does your job at Emera Astronomy Center involve?
I answer visitors’ questions and provide tours of the building. I’m also in charge of marketing, so it’s a great way to use my MBS training. I send out announcements about programs and communicate with newspapers and schools to promote student field trips.

Any research, internships or scholarly pursuits in which you are involved?
Last summer I was an office worker and counselor at the Bowdoin College Day Camp. I facilitated activities and coordinated payroll and camp supplies. I also participated in an archaeological dig at the Brunswick Naval Base through a paid position that enabled me to work with a former high school archaeology teacher to determine if bricks found on the site are the same ones used to construct the oldest building on the Bowdoin campus. Our findings will be published in a state archaeology journal.

Have you had an experience at MBS that has changed or shaped the way you see the world?
As part of MBS Corps we wrote letters to soldiers deployed overseas and this opportunity to become pen pals with those who serve our country has opened my eyes to the important job that our armed services perform.

Why did you choose MBS and why did you decide to major in business?
I saw MBS as a great opportunity to meet a large group of diverse people. I like to say that my major is “busy-ness” since I’m always on the go. I love the thrill of accomplishing something. I rarely sit still knowing there’s so much I could be doing. The great thing about business is that it provides an opportunity for me to explore a variety of endeavors.

What has been your proudest achievement at MBS so far?
I am so happy to have participated in the Adopt-A-Family program facilitated by the Salvation Army last winter. The names of families were given to MBS Corps members and we split the costs of gifts for each family. Nothing makes me happier than knowing I’ve influenced someone in a positive way.