Nelson is staff accountant at Purdy Powers

Barely a month after graduating from MBS with a degree in accounting, Michael Nelson ’15 began work as a staff accountant at Purdy Powers & Company in Portland, Maine.
“I am enjoying putting to use the concepts and principles I learned in my accounting classes with professors Gloria Vollmers and Steve Colburn,” said Nelson.

The days fly by as he stays busy with a variety of tasks. “A typical day for me includes visiting clients and auditing their financial statements, reviewing their balance sheets and income statements, and performing a variety of testing and audit procedures to ensure they are in accordance with the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP),” said Nelson, referring to the common set of accounting standards and procedures that companies use to compile their financial statements.

A Waterville, Maine native, Nelson won the 2015 MBS Excellence in Accounting Award last spring. He credits MBS for providing him with the necessary skill set to land a job immediately after graduation.  “My rigorous coursework challenged me to think critically and analytically,” he said. “MBS prepared me for the workplace by providing a great business foundation and instilling a strong work ethic and a determination to succeed as a professional accountant.”