The race starts at 7:30 AM and there is a 6 hour limit on the marathon course. Those who feel they will not finish the marathon in 6 hours can register for the early start at 6:30 AM (which will allow 7 hours). Early start is not available for the half marathon.
The half marathon course will start on campus, follow the Stillwater River and travel through Orono and Old Town back to a paved bike path on campus. The full marathon course is a double loop of the half. All races will start and end on the UMaine track.
The marathon and half marathon courses are officially certified! The USATF numbers are: ME15001JK and ME15002JK.
Official course map: Marathon Map : click link for a printable version.
Map courtesy of
1. Start is the same for all three races(on track next to rock at the Fieldhouse entrance)
2. counterclockwise around track and exiting on the right side of the home stadium between the Ice Rink and TKE Fraternity.
3. Take left on College Ave and head to Orono.
4. Over the bridge and take a right onto Bennoch Rd. rigth after UCU.
5. Take a right onto Stillwater Ave/Franklin St. at the light at Bennoch Rd.
6. Turn Left on Free St.
7. Turn right onto Stillwater Ave.
8. Turn right on College Ave.
9. Turn left at the Witter Farm sign and head towards the farm.(runners will remain on the right side of this road)
10.Run down to the orange cone on the road and turn around this cone and head back to College Ave.(this is only for a short distance to gain exact distance for 10k).
11. There will be another orange cone and you will go right around this cone to head back to the farm.
12. Take a left onto the bike path to the campus.
13. Take a left on the sidewalk right pass the softball field and running on sidewalk towards the football stadium.
14. Take a right into the stadium and then left onto the track.
15. The finish line is the 50 yard line on the home side.
Half and full marathon course:
Both Races will start and finish in the same spot:
1. Start will be on the UMaine track closest to the entrance to the Fieldhouse. It will be directly across from the Memorial Rock right off of the track.
2. Runners will run counterclockwise around the track and exit the track on the right side of the Home Football Bleachers (between the Alfond and TKE Fraternity).
3. Runners will take a left onto College Ave and run towards the town of Orono(1.6 miles).
4. After running over the bridge and up the hill, runners will take a right sharp right on Bennoch Rd. at the light and travel 1.9 miles until the intersection of Stillwater and Bennoch Rd.
5. At this light, runners will continue on Bennoch Rd.
6. Runners will stay on Bennoch Rd. for approximate 3 miles. At the next intersection (Bennoch and Route 43) runners will take a right onto Route 43 (Gilman Falls Rd) and continue on this for 1.4 miles.
7. Runners will take a right onto Veazie Street.
8. Runners will continue on Veazie until it ends. At this time runners will turn right onto Middle ST. for 1 block.
9. At the bottom of the hill on Middle St, runners will take a left onto Somerset St. and run 1 block until meeting up with Center St.
10. At this stop sign, runners will cross the road and get onto 6th Street.
11. Runners will run 4 blocks and take a right turn onto Perkins Ave.
12. Runners will run up the hill on Perkins until the intersection of Perkins and the University of Maine Bike Path (about .3 miles)and continue on the bike path.
13. Runners will take at left onto the bike Path and start heading back to the University.
14. At almost 1 mile on the bike path the runners will come to an intersection. Take a left running down the hill toward Witter Farm.
15. Run for almost another .5 mile and take a right onto the Witter Farm Road.
16. This will connect back up with the bike path (about .2 miles and half marathon runners will take a left back onto the bike path (heading toward University Park).
17. Instead of taking a left, the Marathon Runners will continue on the road and run until coming to an orange cone. Runners will around the Cone and head back to the bike path.
18. Runners will run until the end of the bike path and turn right on the paved walking path “Black Bear Way” heading back to the football stadium.
19. Once arriving back to the football stadium the runners will turn right back into the stadium and then take a left onto the track for the half and right for the full marathon. The finish line will be at the 50 yard line on the home side.
20. Marathon runners will continue running on the track and exit the stadium as they had for the first loop.
21. The finish will be the same as the 1/2 marathon runners at the end of the 2nd loop on the track.