Archival images spanning from the 1887 Commencement to the 1988 Homecoming.
Members of the class of 1887 pose prior to the ceremony.
President A.W. Harris and faculty and staff on the steps of Coburn Hall in 1893.
Students in professor Windsor P. Daggett’s advanced public speaking course formed the Dramatic Club in 1906. The all-male cast debuted with As You Like It a year later. The club became Maine Masque.
People gather on the lawn in front of Alumni Hall. Lord Hall is in the background.
When UMaine was founded in 1865, it was called the Maine College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts and it offered three majors: agriculture, civil engineering and mechanical engineering. The first graduating class of six students in 1872 included four of engineers.
Kendrick Hogdon, left, a junior, and his brother, Kenneth Hogdon, a first-year student, of Anson, Maine, prepare dinner in a cabin.Four students lived in each cabin, which included bunk beds, tables, chairs and a stove.
UMaine faculty, students, staff and guests gathered on a campus lawn for commencement ceremonies.
Students cross-country ski in front of Balentine Hall.
President Arthur Hauck inaugurated Maine Day as a day set aside for spring cleanup of campus. The community service continues today on campus and beyond.
Members of the class of 1945 catch up at their 10-year reunion.
The Bear’s Den in the Memorial Union has been a popular destination for generations of students.
A chemistry class in an Aubert lecture hall.
John Antonitis changes song rolls on carillon bells in Alumni Hall.
The Pit in Memorial Gymnasium was an intimidating basketball mecca until 1991, when home games moved to the Harold Alfond Sports Arena.
Bed sled races were a tradition at UMaine.
Bananas and UMaine cheerleaders at the Homecoming football game.
Back to media gallery