Skip Navigation

Master Gardener Class – February 20

Hi All,

Wow did we have a great field trip yesterday!

Our host was terrific and I hope it was a great learning experience for all for something you to can do in your garden if you choose. The weather was great and we were expert at navigating the “goat trails” throw the snow. At least we had soft landings for falls :)

Since several people asked – here is a link to the Johnny’s Vent Arm that opens and closes vents based on temperature sensing (without power). Farm Tech also sells a similar vent arm. The current $49 price at Johnny’s is the lowest I have seen it.

As a reminder the kits and other small four season moveable greenhouse resources can be found via the links on page 4 of the Winter Greens Moveable Greenhouse posed last week.

Yesterday a researcher on mycorrhizal fungi shared with me this 2-minute video titled “Underground Market” that is a terrific animation on the mutually beneficial relationship between the fungi and plants. You will really enjoy viewing this.

February 27 – Botany Part II and Weed Management

Readings:

Review the botany chapter you covered 2 weeks ago: How Plants Grow paying particular attention to the sections on Roots; Leaves; Stems; Water; and Photosynthesis, Respiration, and Transpiration.

Weed Management: From your manual review:

Weeds in the Home Vegetable Garden

Weed Management in Small Fruits

Also please review the New Jersey Weed Gallery and find your favorite or worst nightmare weeds.

Ask yourself and explore:

Is this weed an annual, biennial or perennial, how would I use this information in controlling this weed, and what other information I can learn from how this plant grows that would assist me in a weed control strategy?

No Quiz This Week – I will be giving you your first take home open book review in class this coming week. You will have two weeks to complete it and get it back to me. You may work together with classmates on completing the review.

Tags: