Conference Report - Tribal Efforts and Practices
This break-out session met in the morning and afternoon; the afternoon session was only open to tribal members. Notes gathered were few. For more information about tribal efforts and practices, please contact Esther Attean, Site Coordinator, Maine Youth Opportunities Initiative, c/o Maine DHHS; 207-561-4221; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brief summary of topics:
- Grassroots initiatives.
- Coalition work.
- Historical and political context.
- Pilot projects: screening for domestic violence.
- How to create respectful judicial process: Tension among tribal courts and states.
- Enforcement issues: within tribes, from/without state.
- Need data to document and understand scope and prevalence.
- Language: terms may not transcend cultures.