[Update] Printable recipe cards:
Archive for the ‘Nutrition & Cooking’ Category
March is National Nutrition Month®. Here are just a few tips from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics to “Get Your Plate in Shape.”
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables
- Make at least half your grains whole
- Enjoy your foods but eat less
- Be physically active your way
See the BlackBear Dining Nutrition page for more information.
Entree Nutrition Criteria
- < 600 calories
- < 24g of fat
- No trans-fat
- < 7g of saturated fat
- < 800mg of sodium
Approved Cooking Methods
- Grilled, broiled, baked, steamed.
- No fried foods.
Approach to Ingredients
- Meats/proteins – all lean meats & protein
- Dairy products -no heavy cream or butter
- Fats & oils – no trans fat; no hydrogenated oils
- Starch – emphasis on whole grains
Over the past 30 years, Janet has held various roles as a trainer and healthcare professional, including training and development specialist for Bath Iron Works, serving as a registered nurse within the Labor & Delivery unit for Keller Army Hospital at West Point Military Academy, and most recently as a health coach and staff educator for Health Dialog, Inc. Read more…