Volume 7, Issue 11
November 12- Office Closed
November 22 & 23- Office Closed
November 30- Re-enrollment Forms Due at Office
January 7 & 14- VOLT Training- Machias
January 13- Public Speaking Clinic
March 9- Washington Count PST
March 23- Regional PST-UMaine Orono
On October 20th, the Horse Power and the Princeton Pioneers clubs gathered for their annual recognition events. Youth were recognized for their leadership, community service, attendance, Perry Harvest Fair exhibits, and their project records. Horse Power concluded with the construction of the National Youth Science Day Eco-bots. The Princeton Pioneers had a cookout-style lunch and pumpkin carving.
Twenty Washington County 4-Hers submitted project records this year. Congratulations to the following Blue-Ribbon recipients:
Emily Bosley Jodie Harris Mikaila Loughlin Madelyn Willey
Helpful Hints towards earning a Blue Ribbon…
1. Start your 2012-2013 project records now! To print a copy or use the online version, visit: http://extension.umaine.edu/4h/volunteers/resources/forms/
2. Write your full name wherever asked.
3. Enter the day, month & year when filling in the date.
4. Leave nothing blank. If you don’t know how to fill something in, ask for help.
5. Give your work value! Income can be the item(s) you create, regardless of if you sell them. Income can also be the premiums you earned from the Perry Harvest Fair.
See the judging rubric (attached to your 2011-2012 project records, or available from your club leader or the county office) for scoring components and examples.
All clubs and independents should have received their reenrollment packets by now. Please return all paperwork listed in these packets no later than Friday, November 30, 2012. There are new member and new volunteer enrollment forms available at: http://extension.umaine.edu/4h/volunteers/resources/forms/
If you have any questions or need forms sent to you, please contact Tara or Nicole.
Coming Soon…Public Speaking Clinic
January 13th, 2013 2-4pm
University of Maine Cooperative Extension Conference Room
Mark your calendars! Lisa Reilich will be leading this clinic in preparation for the March 9th Washington County Public Speaking Tournament. Open to all 4-Her’s, ages 5 to 18, the tournament is a wonderful opportunity for youth to share their knowledge and skills. Last year we learned about ice fishing, tree identification, hatching chicks and dog agility. We also learned how to make a Danish Christmas ornament, how to do a card trick, how to make a star album and a hula hoop! What cool information do you have to share?
Come on Sunday, January 13th to learn how to prepare your topic for the Washington County Public Speaking Tournament!
VOLT Training will be offered on January 7th and 14th from 6pm to 8:30 p.m. at the Extension office in Machias. Please watch for more details.
1. Important News about 2013 Maine 4-H Days Dates
Please note: If you are planning to attend Maine 4-H Days in 2013, the date has changed. Next year’s event will take place July 18 – 21 at the Windsor Fairgrounds, and the State Dairy Show will be on the 20th & 21st. If you are interested in helping to plan next year’s event, please contact Jessy Brainerd at firstname.lastname@example.org or 581-3877.
2. Military Teen Adventure Camps 2012-2013 – Nearly 1600 military teens (14-18 years old) will have an opportunity to participate (at little to no cost) in adventure camps scheduled April 2012 through March 2013. These high energy, high adventure, and high experience camps are planned across the United States from Alaska to Maine and from Colorado to Georgia as well as states in between.
Each camp offers a unique outdoor experience that will allow a teen to build leadership, self-confidence, and teamwork skills while participating in activities like backpacking, river rafting, canoeing, wilderness survival, rocketry, rock climbing, GPS use, mountain biking, first aid, winter camping, dog sledding, ropes courses, camp cooking, archery, and other camp activities. Camps for youth with special needs (mental, physical, and emotional) are also planned in California, Ohio, and New Hampshire. For military youth already in the Pacific Rim, two camp dates are available in Hawaii. Information may be found at the following URL: https://www.extension.purdue.edu/Adventure_camps/.
3. Market Steers for Windsor and Fryeburg – 4-Hers raising a steer for the 2013 market steer shows at Windsor or Fryeburg Fairs need to send in an Intent to Participate Form http://umaine.edu/4h/files/2010/08/2013-beef-intent.doc by January 3, 2013. We appreciate you completing your paperwork early. Please enroll or re-enroll as a 4-H member early, and send your Intent to Participate form to your county office. The earlier we receive your paperwork, the earlier we can begin tagging animals, and avoid tagging during the winter months.
4. Activity Corner Encouraging Science for K-2
FYI – Here is an article about encouraging Cloverbuds to think like scientists. https://www.magnetmail.net/Actions/email_web_version.cfm?publish=newsletter&user_id=NSTA&message_id=2346714. There will even be experiments posted here monthly. Children are natural scientists!
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour 2 tsp baking soda
11⁄2 tsp salt 2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg ½ tsp ground cloves
3 cups sugar 1 cup of vegetable oil or apple sauce
1 cup water 1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves in a large bowl. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, oil or applesauce and eggs. Beat well on medium speed. Alternately add flour mixture and water to sugar mixture, beating on low speed until combined after each addition (do not over beat the batter). Stir in pumpkin. Pour batter into 2 greased 9x5x3 in h loaf pans. Bake for 70-80 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool in pans for 15 minutes and then remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
Image Description: 4-H Program Aide Nicole Willey joins volunteers and members of the Horse Power Club during their recent recognition event hosted by the club.