Skip Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get things started to use my GI Bill benefits?

The first thing you should do is contact the VA and determine what benefits you qualify for and then get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or your Notice of Benefits Eligibility (NOBE).  From there you can follow our checklist to get everything else going.

School has started why hasn’t my bill been paid with the Bursar’s office?

Depending on what chapter of benefits you are using we may be waiting on the add/drop period to pass before certifying your classes to the VA.  This allows you to adjust your schedule without incurring a debt or an overage that will have to be paid back later.  We suggest that you go to Mainestreet and update your anticipated resources so that you don’t incur a late fee.

I still have fees from last semester and can’t register for this semester.  Why?

There could be several reasons.  The one we most often encounter is that a fee is added by the program that you are enrolled in.  The GI Bill will only pay the fees that are assessed to every student and not to specific schools or programs.

Do I have to go to class on Veteran’s day?

University of Maine classes are in session on Veterans Day. Approval of Veterans Day off has occurred and will begin in AY 2015-16.

I filled out a request for VA benefits last semester.  Do I still have to fill this form out again?

You MUST certify your classes for each semester if you want to get paid by the VA.

How do I get started with my Army Guard benefits?

To start the process for Ch. 1606/1607 benefits go to:

Do I have to let you know if I add or drop classes?

You should let us know any time there is a change in your class schedule.  If it is done before the add/drop period we can help to ensure that you don’t incur any overages or debts.

Why wasn’t my payment this month the same as last month?

If you have been getting paid regularly and there is a sudden change in your benefits (not related to end of semester or break periods) you will have to contact the VA to find out why.  We do not process payment.  We only report your credit hours to the VA the rest is handled by them.

I am going to UMaine and another school.  Do I still need to fill out a certification of my classes?

Yes, you still need to verify with us the classes that you are taking.  It is your responsibility to verify that the classes you are taking are covered.

How do I get college credit for my military service?

For Navy and Marines go to  for Army go to, for Air Force request transcripts be sent from CCAF directly to the school .

Can I use the GI Bill for graduate school?

It depends on your chapter.

What does the GI Bill pay for?

This is largely dependent on the chapter of benefits that you qualify for.  For more information on your chapter go to :

I am Ch. 33 (post 9/11 benefits).  Where is the money for my books?

The stipend for books is at the beginning of each semester and is based on the number of classes that you are taking.  The stipend is maxed at $1000 for the entire school year.

Is there a place where I can meet and talk with other veteran students?

There is a veteran’s lounge in the VETS office located at 143A in the Memorial Union.  It is staffed from 8 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.  We would love to have you come in and visit.

What kind of Veteran’s Clubs are available on campus?

UMaine Veterans Association

How do I get in touch with the VA education benefits office?

The office for this region is located in Buffalo.  They can be reached at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

How do I find out how much of my benefits I have used and what I have left?

You can find out what benefits you have used and have remaining at :

How to apply for Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (CHAMPVA)?

It is the responsibility of the student to request verification of enrollment each semester.  Students must be certified with CHAMPVA every semester to receive this benefit.  The Office of Student Records, at the University of Maine can provide verification of enrollment . You must  specifically request that the verification of enrollment letter  include your Social Security number if needed

What is Tutorial Assistance and is it available to me?

Tutorial assistance* funded by the VA may be available for (Chapter 31) veterans if they have a deficiency in a course they are attending. This deficiency must be confirmed by the student’s course instructor. If they would like this service, they must complete the necessary forms available at the V.E.T.S. Office. It is the responsibility of the veteran to locate a qualified tutor.

*This service is denied for use as a GPA booster.

Tutoring services are available to  all University of Maine students through the Tutor Program.   Participation in the Tutor Program  requires sign up early in the semester . Check with the V.E.T.S. office for more details.

If you have questions that aren’t answered here then please submit them to:


Veterans Education and Transition Services
5748 Memorial Union Rm. 143
Orono, Maine 04469
Phone: (207) 581-1316 | Fax: (207) 581-9338
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469