Tanglewood summer positions - Trip leader
Get out of camp and experience summertime in Maine on the trail, in canoes, and on the ocean. As a Trip Leader, learn about Maine’s outdoors, explore the natural world, make new friends, have fun, and make a difference in the lives of many young people through positive interactions.
The most unique thing about our programs is that they are educational trips, not just team and character building. We teach concepts of basic ecology, primitive skills, Leave No Trace, and natural history while out on the trail or on the water.
Summer trips include: an exploration of the Ducktrap River Watershed via canoe from remote ponds to the ocean; hiking the portion of the Appalachian Trail between Nahmakanta Lake and Gulf Hagas; a week at the shore and islands, mastering ocean canoeing and kayaking and primitive skills; and two new river canoe adventures: the West Branch of the Penobscot River through historic Chesuncook Village and the St. George River from Sennebec Pond to the ocean in Port Clyde.
Tanglewood trip leaders play a special role as they bridge in-camp and out-of-camp experiences. Our trips are geared to those who look for a small group experience plus the opportunity to learn the tangible skills of outdoor living. Give the gift of a life-time: teach a young person how to be confident in the outdoors with simple camping gear and a sense of adventure.
Training includes a weekend at Baxter State Park of hiking, camping and service learning. All trip leaders are trained, tested and certified as Maine Trip Leaders at Tanglewood.
Programs are for boys and girls ages 9-15. We look to hire a male/female team to lead trips.
- Flexible, team player; appreciate the natural world; self-motivated
- Two years related outdoors experience working with youth
- Wilderness First Aid Certification
- Ability to lead groups outdoors over various terrain with 30+lbs. packs for 8-10 miles and ability to assist in carrying canoes with others
- River, flat-water and ocean canoeing skills
- Able to follow a demanding schedule and know own limits
- Ability to pass Maine Trip Leader Certification Test
- 21+ (driving requirement) and valid driver’s license
- Lifeguard certification
- Preferred: Wilderness First Responder, Small Craft Water Safety Certification
- Complete health screening and appropriate background checks
Dates & Compensation
- $225/week (pre-tax); 10 week appointment; room and board provided
- June 8-August 16, 2014; one to three weekends required
- Additional pay bonus of $15/week for returning staff members
Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer