Tanglewood summer positions - Trip leader: Positions filled for 2013
Get out of camp and experience summertime in Maine on the trail, in canoes, and on the ocean. As a Trip Leader, learn about Maine’s outdoors, explore the natural world, make new friends, have fun, and make a difference in the lives of many young people through positive interactions.
The most unique thing about our trips is that they are educational trips, not just team and character building. We teach concepts of basic ecology and natural history while out on the trail or on the water. This also can be a challenge sometimes, in bad weather or with a really diverse group of kids, just getting to point B from point A is enough of a mental and physical workout!
Summer trips include: an exploration of the Ducktrap River Watershed including island camping; hiking the portion of the Appalachian Trail between Gulf Hagas and Borestone Mountain; exploring the Camden Hills with packs, canoes and climbing gear; a week at the shore mastering ocean canoeing and kayaking and primitive skills; and an introductory trip “Living with the Earth” for younger campers.
Tanglewood trip leaders play a special role as they bridge in-camp and out-of-camp experiences. Our trips are geared to those who look for a small group experience plus the opportunity to learn the tangible skills of outdoor living. Give the gift of a life-time: teach a young person how to be confident in the outdoors with simple camping gear and a sense of adventure.
Programs are for boys and girls ages 9-15. We look to hire a male/female team to lead trips.
- Flexible, team player; appreciate the natural world; self-motivated
- Two years related outdoors experience working with youth
- Wilderness First Aid Certification
- Ability to lead groups outdoors over various terrain with 30+lbs. packs for 8-10 miles and ability to assist in carrying canoes with others
- Canoeing skills
- Able to follow a demanding schedule and know own limits
- Ability to pass Maine Trip Leader Certification Test
- 21+ (driving requirement) and valid driver’s license
- Lifeguard certification
- Preferred: Wilderness First Responder, Small Craft Water Safety Certification
- Complete health screening and appropriate background checks
Dates & Compensation
- $215-$225/week (pre-tax); 10 week appointment; room and board provided
- June 9-August 17, 2013; one to three weekends required
- Additional pay bonus of $15/week for returning staff members
Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer