Tanglewood summer positions - Summer Camp Assistant
For someone who prefers to act behind-the-scenes in a camp environment, the Summer Camp Assistant role provides a leader with the opportunity to not only make a difference in the lives of campers but also those of the camp staff. This position is key to smooth operations during the summer camp season from start to finish. Applicants should have a solid understanding of residential camp life and be comfortable working with and leading peers in a management-type role. All Tanglewood staff are employees of the University of Maine. The Summer Camp Assistant reports to the Tanglewood Camp Director.
- Support camp director by providing coordination, in a team setting, to plan, promote, conduct, and evaluate the summer programs at Tanglewood. This primarily includes residential camp, but may also include aspects of adventure trips, day camp, and leadership programs.
- Assist in the training, supervision, and evaluation of the summer staff. Facilitate meetings for program planning, communication and group cohesion.
- Serve as role model to inspire the staff to lead youth in a constructive and creative manner, offer support and guidance to counselors
- Organize daily/weekly schedules for 25+ staff, including morning focus, afternoon electives and evening programs.
- Serve as camp director when camp director is absent
- Work with camp director to develop, acquire, maintain, and improve the teaching materials, resources and equipment that are needed to carry-out the summer program.
- Assist with development of marketing materials, including catalog copy, press releases, camper recruitment, website, etc.
- Assist with maintaining records of programs, and submit periodic reports.
- Be available to assist the camp director in additional administrative duties as required.
- Bachelors Degree, preferably in related field
- Minimum 2 years experience teaching outdoor/environmental education; experience as a camp counselor; leadership experience in summer camp programs, including administration
- Ability to work cooperatively as a team member
- Current First Aid/CPR
- Ability to lead groups over various terrain
- Experience developing environmental curricula and programming
- Knowledge of ecological concepts and natural history
- Understanding of American Camp Association Standards
- Experience creating websites and maintaining computer program systems
- Preferred: Wilderness First Responder certification and Life Guard certification
Requirement for hiring:
- Complete health screening and appropriate background checks
Dates and Compensation:
- This is a position that requires flexible scheduling. Some evening and weekend work required.
- Applicant must live in camp during 12-week summer season. Room available for whole appointment, board provided during summer season (June-August).
- Pay: to be discussed (pre-tax), paid monthly.
- April 7-August 30, 2014 with the option to stay on September 8-October 17, 2014
Please mail/fax/email cover letter, resume, and references to: Jessica Decke, Tanglewood Summer Camp Director, 1 Tanglewood Road, Lincolnville, ME 04849. Fax: 207-789-5220. Email: email@example.com
Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer