Tanglewood summer positions - Leadership instructor: Positions filled for 2013
As a leadership program instructor you will have the opportunity to work with our oldest campers (14-17) for multi-week sessions, leading dynamic programming to embark on a journey of self-discovery and learning.
These programs are designed for teenagers and involved trip leading and in-camp leadership instruction. Someone who has experience and enjoys working with teenagers is ideal to lead these programs.
In-camp components make up the majority of each Leadership session. Participants learn leadership styles, communication skills and group building, as well as more detailed environmental education and ethics.
- Leadership One: Ages 14-16; 4, 2-week programs; trip focus on exploring the Ducktrap Watershed in Lincolnville.
- Leadership Two: Ages 15-17; 2, 3-week programs; trip focus on backpacking and canoeing the St. George Watershed.
- Leadership Three: ages 16-17; 2, 2-week programs; trip focus on experiencing service learning at Baxter State Park, Wilderness First Aid and working with kids in camp.
While all program trips involve hiking, camping and canoeing in some beautiful spots, they can’t really be defined as “wilderness trips”. The idea is for the participants to learn about the watershed as a whole, its natural beauty and its areas that are impacted by humans as they practice the skills of being a leader among peers.
- Flexible, creative, team player; appreciate the natural world
- Related experience working with teenagers and teaching in the outdoors
- Substantial camping/backpacking/canoeing experience
- Wilderness First Aid
- Ability to lead groups outdoors over various terrain with 30+lbs. packs for 8-10 miles and ability to assist in carrying canoes with others
- Ability to pass Maine Trip Leader Certification Test
- 21+ (driving requirement) and valid driver’s license
- Lifeguard certification
- Preferred: Wilderness First Responder, Small Craft Water Safety Certification
Requirement for Hiring
- Complete health screening and appropriate background checks
Dates & Compensation
- June 9 – August 17, 2013 (10 weeks, including 2 weeks of training); weekend work required
- $235/week (pre-tax); room and board provided; additional pay bonus of $15/week for returning staff
Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer