School program positions - Environmental Educator – Seasonal
Tanglewood 4-H Camp and Learning Center is seeking qualified individuals to work for our Outdoor Ecology Programs. This position requires either a two or six-month commitment.
A two-month Environmental Education Instructor teaches ecology and team building for elementary through high school students in either the spring or fall for Tanglewood’s School Programs.
A six-month Environmental Education Instructor works for Tanglewood’s School Programs in the spring and fall in addition to working at our summer camp.
Tanglewood 4-H Camp and Learning Center’s mission is to teach Maine youth and adults to be effective and caring citizens of the Earth through affordable environmental education and nature-based experiences. Our vision is to create a place where people learn to live responsibly and in balance with the earth.
Tanglewood works hard to create a positive, nurturing and empowering experience for students with all learning types and abilities through hands-on, experiential education. Instructors lead small groups of 10-12 students through forest, freshwater, intertidal ecology and team building initiatives. As an environmental education counselor for the 4-H Earth Connections School Programs, you’ll help connect public school students with the environment through hands-on outdoor lessons in forest, freshwater, marine and human ecology. Tanglewood 4-H Camp and Learning Center is a program of the University of Maine Cooperative Extension.
The camp is comprised of 900+ acres of forest, miles of hiking trails, and the pristine Ducktrap River. It is minutes from the beautiful Maine coast, approximately 1.5 hours from both Acadia National Park and the city of Portland.
- Teach hands-on, outdoor lessons to grades K- 12 for day and overnight programs. Programs include: Forest Ecology Adventure, Freshwater Exploration, Watershed Connections, Youth Forestry Camp, Intertidal Discovery, Building Our Human Community and Village: Creating Communities.
- Work independently and with staff to develop and maintain teaching resources.
- Participate in staff training and daily staff meetings to plan and evaluate programs.
- Participate in other program-related events and functions.
- Contribute ideas for continual development of programs and to strengthen our teaching team.
- Take part in routine tasks of cooking, gardening, cleaning and upkeep of program spaces to support the staff community.
- Responsible for cabin duties on some overnight programs.
- Environmental education experience with youth
- Knowledge of ecological concepts and natural history (degree in related field preferred)
- Flexible, creative, enthusiastic team player
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR preferred
- Ability to lead groups over various terrain
$280/week starting salary.
September 3rd – October 18th for the fall season. There are also positions available in the spring and summer.
TO APPLY: Please send cover letter, resume and names & contact information of 3 references to:
School Programs Coordinator
Tanglewood 4-H Camp
One Tanglewood Road
Lincolnville, ME 04849
FAX: (207) 789-5220
Phone: (207) 789-5805
Closing Date: Positions filled ASAP
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer