Now Hiring! - Residential camp educator/camp counselor, Blueberry Cove
As an educator/counselor your role is similar to that of a camp counselor, with the additional responsibility of planning and leading a focus each morning. These are educational master classes for (usually) 3 hours per day, lasting 5 days. Campers choose one focus each week, your job (with the help of a co-leader) is to teach your subject in an engaging and fun way so by the end of the week, all campers will have “mastered” their subject. We provide a curriculum framework for you to work from with activity ideas and write-ups from previous focus leaders. The most important thing is that you have a passion for the theme of your focus.
In addition to leading a focus in the morning, you will also lead activities in the afternoon. We give a lot of freedom in the activities you lead, so long as they have some educational value and are safe. Share your skills knowledge and passions. Activities can be arty, nature-based, sporty or musical, the choice is yours. Support and guidance is available throughout the summer and our staff training program provides lots of ideas, skills and time to plan.
NOTE: all female positions are filled for 2014. We are currently hiring male staff.
- Flexible, creative, team player, appreciate the natural world
- Self-motivated, able to both lead and follow
- Completed 2nd year of college with equivalent experience in teaching area
- Previous camp or related experience working with youth
- Ability to lead groups outdoors over various terrain
- First Aid and basic life support certification (CPR)
- Preferred: lifeguard certification
Requirements for Hiring
- Complete health screening and required background checks
Dates & Compensation
- June 8 to August 16, 2014 (10 weeks, including 2 weeks of staff training); 1-3 weekends of work required
- Compensation: $215/week (pre-tax); room and board; bonus for life guard certification ($20/week) and returning staff ($15/week)
- Option available to stay for an additional two weeks (through August 29) for extended camp programs
Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer