Now Hiring! - Day camp educator, Blueberry Cove
Love working with young children? Have a great imagination? Tanglewood’s is the place for you. For 10 weeks, our day camp is host to 24-30 4-8 year olds with programs geared toward young minds and bodies.
Day campers meet every day at between 7:30 and 9:00 AM at the Main Camp before settling in small groups to their very own education zone. Day campers play games, go for hikes, sing songs, learn about nature and have lots of fun just like older campers–just everything is designed especially for their age. Getting wet in the river or ocean, reading (and listening to) stories, looking after the bunnies, and planting in the camp gardens are just a few of the highlights of this unique program. Each site has a different end time with campers going home between 3-5:00 pm. We’ve built a siesta into the day to support afternoon nappers!
Activities will be offered in outdoor and indoor areas and include gardening, forest ecology, watersheds, art, cooking, drama, music and cooperation. Topics such as the water cycle, insects, wildlife and birds are taught through exploration, games, puppetry, art, songs and stories. Swimming is also a daily activity.
Responsibilities would include being a primary educator/leader for the day camp, leading lessons with a day camp counselor supporting you and working collaboratively with the other day camp educators and day camp coordinator. Educators work closely with the day camp coordinator and summer camp coordinator in schedule set up, building use and camper daily registration.
Day camp staff are encouraged to live at camp as part of the greater summer staff team, however they may commute in from local areas.
- Flexible, creative, team layer, appreciate the natural world
- Completed 2nd year of college (higher education)
- Previous camp or related experience working with youth aged 4-8
- Understanding of and knowledge in environmental education/natural history
- Ability to lead groups outdoors over various terrain
- First aid and Basic Life Support certification
- Preferred: canoe/boating experience, life guard certification; early childhood development; ability to live locally and commute
Requirement for Hiring
- Complete health screening and appropriate background checks
Dates & Compensation
- June 8-August 16, 2014 (1 weeks, including 2 weeks of staff training/program set-up); option to work at extended camp at Tanglewood through August 29.
- Compensation: $215/week (pre-tax), plus room and board
- Additional pay bonus of $15/week for returning staff members and $20/week for life guard certification
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer