About Us - Our values
Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove 4-H Camp and Learning Center’s mission is to teach Maine youth and adults to be effective and caring citizens of the Earth through affordable environmental education and nature-based experiences.
We embrace the goals of 4-H Earth Connections:
Youth, adults and families seeing themselves as part of an interconnected world and are committed to a sustainable future
4-H is the youth education program of Cooperative Extension. The overall objective of 4-H is the development of youth as individuals and as responsible and productive citizens.
Our vision is to create a place where people learn to live responsibly and in balance with the Earth. It encourages reflection and respect, while inspiring change within ourselves and our communities.
Making friends, learning and having fun are central to program experiences. In order to create an atmosphere where these can thrive, we have adopted a strict policy of safety for self and others and respect for all life. This policy is introduced at the opening circle of each program and reinforced throughout. Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove do not tolerate name calling, put-downs, fighting, violent behavior, possession or use of tobacco, alcohol or other non-prescription drugs and all other acts which violate principles of safety and respect.
The core values that guide Tanglewood & Blueberry Cove include the following:
- Caring and respect for all life and the wise use of natural resources
- Commitment to embrace Maine’s 4-H youth philosophy and values
- Commitment to create and maintain a safe and physically accessible environment at our sites
- Commitment to high quality experiential education that encompasses the individual development needs and learning styles of participants
- Respect for the rights of others to hold, develop, and express ideas different from ones own
- Commitment to create an understanding of ecology and how the earth works
- Commitment to maintain a sound fiscal management system
- Commitment to kindness and mutual respect
- Belief that the future will be influenced by our individual actions within a global context, and that we take responsibility for those actions