Skip Navigation
Return to Layout View | Home | A-Z Directory | my UMaine | MaineStreet | Campus Map | Calendar
Follow UMaine on Twitter | Join UMaine on Facebook | Watch UMaine on YouTube | Admissions | Parents & Family | Apply | Give Now | Emergency

Summer University

Site Navigation:

Student Academic Policies

Drop/Withdrawal Refund Policy | Changes | Course Load | Grades/Transcripts
Course Credit Info | Transfer Students


Drop/Withdrawal Refund Policy

Change of Registration

Audit/Pass Fail/Credit Hours
Once a student is registered for a course, changes may be made within a specified time. For example, changes in registration may be made prior to the third class of a three- or eight-week session and prior to the fourth day of five- and six-week session. This applies to a change from audit or pass/fail to a credit basis, or vice versa. For changes, Degree students should contact their advisor or department. Additional advising is available from the Lifelong Learning Advising Center. Non-degree student changes are made by Summer University office in room 122 Chadbourne Hall or by calling (207)581-3143.

Course Credit Information

Courses in the Summer University may be taken on a grade, pass/fail or audit basis. Pass/fail courses carry degree credit but are not calculated into the grade point average. With an audit registration, the student participates in class work similar to a student registered for credit but generally is not required to prepare reports or take examinations. Students should check the audit requirement with the instructor prior to enrolling in the class. Degree students should check with their advisors before registering for any course on a pass/fail or audit basis. Additional advising is available from the Lifelong Learning Advising Center.

Course Load

One three-credit course in a three-week session, or two three-credit courses in a six-week session is considered a maximum registration. It is possible to enroll in multiple courses providing there are no scheduling conflicts. Undergraduates who show an unusually good scholastic record on the basis of previous work, may secure permission to elect hours above the ordinary maximum registration.

Grade Reports/Transcripts

Requests for academic transcripts should be directed to the Office of Student Records, 5781 Wingate Hall, Room 100, Orono, ME 04469-5781, (207)581-1290.



Contact Information

Summer University
The Division of Lifelong Learning
122 Chadbourne Hall, The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469-5713
Phone: (207) 581-3143 | Fax: (207) 581-3141E-mail:
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469
A Member of the University of Maine System