Skip Navigation

We’ve Got the Punk

September 28th, 2010
Textbook for HON 340- Philosophy of Punk Rock

The textbook for my Philosophy of Punk class

By Kelsey Flynn
Secondary Education major, Honors College
Mansfield, Mass.

I know what you are thinking. You are thinking that the Honors College here at the University of Maine is going to be too hard, too impersonal, and too unrewarding. I am here to tell you otherwise. In my three years at UMaine I have had the pleasure of being in the Honors College and reaping the benefits. I can honestly state that the classes and the knowledge garnered from those classes have been the highlight of my collegiate career. As a student of social studies, what I learned in my core Honors classes directly related to what I was learning in the curriculum of my major.

After you take your first four core Honors classes you move on and take something called a Tutorial. This is a higher-level Honors course that you choose from a large list. You choose a tutorial based on your interests. I chose a quite unorthodox class, Philosophy of Punk Rock. Why, yes friends, Philosophy of Punk Rock. It is a class that focuses on the culture surrounding the punk rock scene, those who influenced present day artists, and — of course — the music. This is not your average college course.

The class meets once a week to discuss and present the project that has been assigned over that week. What is the project? Finding out about a band that you have chosen from a list of bands offered and then introducing your class to their music. I call it a class of expression. In class I find myself serving as almost the anti-punk. I rather dislike punk rock music; I am more of an Aerosmith type of girl than a The Stooges type of girl.

The class works for me, however, because instead of strictly focusing on the artists who only play punk rock I focus on bands that were playing at the same time as a sort of counter argument. I have thus made reports on The Yardbirds, CGBG (which is actually a club, not a band), and Blondie. This Honors class truly works on the individual level so that we are learning what we are each interested in, rather than the collective knowledge.

Life is filled with variety — why shouldn’t your course schedule be?

Posted in Honors College, Kelsey Flynn