Student Affairs - Fire Safety
Please, let’s all work together to prevent fires!
Did you know….?
- Fire is the 3rd leading cause of death in the United States.
- A residential fire occurs every 82 seconds.
- The size of a fire doubles every 30 seconds.
- Half of all deaths in domestic fires happen between 10:00 p.m. and 2:00 a.m.
Ways to Prevent a Fire
- Never smoke in a UMaine residence hall. If you don’t live on campus, never smoke in bed or a comfortable chair in which you may fall asleep. Be absolutely sure all materials are fully extinguished. Smoking is the number one cause of fires.
- Never use a candle, incense or open flame in a UMaine residence hall. If you don’t live on campus, never leave any open flame unattended. Make sure it is completely out before you leave.
- Don’t overload outlets or circuits. Unplug appliances that are not in use.
- Keep curtains, drapes and other decorations at least 3 feet away from any heat source.
- Never cover, disengage or otherwise tamper with smoke detectors or with sprinklers in your room or building.
- Never use a cord in a wet area. Avoid using extension cords. Don’t cut the ground prong off any cord.
Ways to Prevent Kitchen Fires
- Never leave the kitchen when you’re cooking.
- Keep flammable materials away from the stove area.
- Make sure there is a working smoke detector in the kitchen. Make sure there is a working fire extinguisher in the kitchen.
- Keep stove and oven free of grease. If grease catches fire, never use water to put it out. Carefully cover the pan with a lid if you can.
What To Do In Case of a Fire
- React immediately, quickly and pull the fire alarm.
- Leave the building. Do not stop to gather personal belongings. Feel doors before you open them. If they are hot, use another exit.
- Call 911.
Ways to Make Yourself Safe
- Make sure smoke detectors and sprinkler systems in you building are in working order. Never tamper or cover these safety devices.
- Have an evacuation plan that includes several escape routes.
- Know where the rally point is for your hall, floor, building, apartment, or house. This is the place to meet after you evacuate the building.
- Practice fire escape and evacuation plans.
- Once outside, never go back inside until the fire department or other authorities have given the OK.
What to do if you see unsafe fire behavior
- If you see fire play, arson, and/or scorching behavior, immediately contact UMPD at 581-4040 or 911. You can also report such behavior to your RA, your house advisor, or through Campus Eyes.