Skip Navigation
Return to Layout View | Home | A-Z Directory | my UMaine | MaineStreet | Campus Map | Calendar
Follow UMaine on Twitter | Join UMaine on Facebook | Watch UMaine on YouTube | Admissions | Parents & Family | Emergency

Student Employment

Site Navigation:

Student Guide to Employment - Student Tax Information

W-4 Form

The amount of taxes withheld from your paycheck is based on the number of allowances you claim. If you are uncertain of the amount to claim, please use the “Personal Allowances Worksheet” found on the W-4 form. Please be advised the staff at the Office of Student Employment and the Payroll Office cannot provide tax advice, however, there is a worksheet with explanations of allowances on page one of the Federal W-4.

To claim exemption from withholding, please see item 7 on the Federal W-4 form. Exempt status is only good for one year (January-December). In order to keep exempt status you must complete new tax forms every January. Please submit these forms to payroll prior to the first paycheck of the calendar year.

*Please Note: You cannot claim allowances and exempt; you must choose one or the other.

All student workers are exempt from FICA (Social Security Tax) provided they are enrolled at least half-time.

Making Changes to W-4 on MaineStreet
You can make changes to your W-4 using MaineStreet.

  1. Log in to MaineStreet at
  2. Click on Employee Self-Service
  3. Click on Payroll and Compensation
  4. Click on W-4 Tax Information
  5. Instructions included – enter information requested, click submit
  6. To sign electronically you will be asked to enter your MaineStreet logon password
  7. Click Maine State W4 Data tab for the State of Maine W-4
  8. Click submit
  9. To sign electronically you will be asked to enter your MaineStreet logon password

Viewing your W-2

Your W-2 will be available for viewing/printing sometime after January 30 of each year. To view/print your W-2, follow these steps:

  1. Log on to MaineStreet at
  2. Click on Employee Self-Service on the MaineStreet Menu
  3. Click Payroll and Compensation
  4. Click W-2 Reissue
  5. Click the magnifying glass next to the “W-2 Calendar Year” box
  6. Choose the year you wish to view
  7. Click the “Click Here to Start Your Request” link
  8. On the next screen, click the “Click here to view your W-2” link

You may print or save your W-2 from the resulting screen.

Previous to Mandatory Paperwork

Next to Guidelines to Working as a Student

Back to Student Guide to Employment


Additional Links

Contact Information

Student Employment
5781 Wingate Hall
Orono, Maine 04469
Phone: (207) 581-1349 | Fax: (207) 581-3261E-mail:
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469