Skip Navigation
Return to Layout View | Home | A-Z Directory | my UMaine | MaineStreet | Campus Map | Calendar
Follow UMaine on Twitter | Join UMaine on Facebook | Watch UMaine on YouTube | Admissions | Parents & Family | Emergency

Student Employment

Site Navigation:

Complete Required Paperwork - Federal and State of Maine W-4

All students who have not worked for the University in the past 12 months must complete both the Federal and State of Maine W-4 tax forms. Instructions on how to complete the forms, including a worksheet are included. The Office of Student Employment and the Payroll Office can answer basic questions about how to complete the form, but cannot offer any advice on what to file on the form. Students who have tax questions should speak with their parents or their tax professional.

Student earnings, including Federal Work-Study, are taxable. If you file “EXEMPT” on your W-4, your Exempt status is only valid for one year. If you wish to continue your Exempt status, you must file a new W-4 every January. All student employees are exempt from FICA (Social Security Tax) provided they are enrolled at least half-time. For the summer, students must be enrolled at least half-time in the summer to be exempt from FICA.

Please click here to download the 2014 Federal W-4 Form.

Please click here to download the State of Maine W-4 Form.

If these tax forms are not submitted to either the Office of Student Employment within 3 days of beginning work, the student MUST stop working and will not be paid until the forms are complete.

Making Changes to the W-4

After your initial filing of the W-4, student employees can make changes to their filing on MaineStreet.

Follow these instructions to make changes to the Federal W-4:

  1. Log in to MaineStreet at
  2. Click on Employee Self-Service
  3. Click on Payroll and Compensation
  4. Click on W-4 Tax Information
  5. Enter information requested
  6. Click submit
  7. To sign electronically you will be asked to enter your MaineStreet logon password

To make changes to the State of Maine W-4, follow these instructions:

  1. Click Maine State W4 Data tab for the State of Maine W-4
  2. Enter information requested
  3. Click submit
  4. To sign electronically you will be asked to enter your MaineStreet logon password

Next to Federal I-9 Form

Previous to Student Authorization Form

Back to Complete Required Paperwork


Additional Links

Contact Information

Student Employment
5781 Wingate Hall
Orono, Maine 04469
Phone: (207) 581-1349 | Fax: (207) 581-3261E-mail:
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469