Skip Navigation

Employer Resources - Employer FAQs

Q. How many hours are students allowed to work on campus?

A. While it is recommended that students only work 20 hours per week, departments may allow their students to work up to 30 hours per week. International students may only work 20 hours due to federal regulations. Click here for more information including information on work-hour limits during breaks.

Q. What paperwork is required when I hire a student?

A.The Student Employment Authorization Form must be filled out, signed by the time approver, the payroll processor and the student and turned in to the Office of Student Employment.

Please Note: The Authorization Form must be for the current academic year or summer — Old authorizations cannot be accepted. Check the date on the top of the authorization to confirm you are using the correct form.

If the student has not worked on-campus during the past 12 months, they must complete additional paperwork (Federal and State W-4, Federal I-9 and Direct Deposit Form) at either the Office of Student Employment in Wingate Hall or the Payroll Office in Corbett Hall. For information on specific forms, including additional documentation required for the Federal I-9, please click here.

Q. Why do you need so many account numbers on the Student Authorization Form?

A.The account numbers we ask for on the Student Authorization Form correspond to the accounts used to pay students. The way the system is currently configured, we need both the MaineStreet numbers (Chartfield Combination), the 10-digit Department Accounting ID (the old FAST number) and the Dynamic Group in order to pay your students appropriately.

Q. How do I determine a student’s wage?

A. A student’s pay rate is determined by their Job Title and experience. Using the Job Classification List, choose the appropriate Job Title and the corresponding Pay Level. You will then refer to the Student Pay Scale to determine the pay rate. A newly hired student will begin at Step I of the Pay Level (e.g., a newly hired Student Administrative Aide I is categorized with a Pay Level I. They would begin at Pay Level I, Step I, or $7.50/hour). At the employer’s discretion, a student may begin working at Step II if the student has prior work experience or more qualifications for the Job Title (e.g., a newly hired Student Administrative Aide I who has prior work experience is categorized with a Pay Level I. If the employer chooses, the student could begin at Pay Level I, Step II, or $7.65/hour). Step III and Step IV are reserved for annual pay increases. For information on pay increases, click here.

Q. How do I post a job on the Online Job Search CareerLink?

A. If you have a job you’d like to post and you are entered in CareerLink as an Employer, you should have a Username and Password. You may Log-In from the Online Job Search tab under Employer Log-In. If you are not sure if you are in the system or would like to be added to CareerLink to be able to post jobs, please contact the Office of Student Employment at 581-1349.

Q. I’m having trouble with CareerLink, what should I do?

A. On the Online Job Search Tab, under the Employer Log-In you will find a downloadable Employer Guide in PDF form. If you are still having trouble with CareerLink after you review the guide for answers, please call the Office of Student Employment at 581-1349.

Q. How do I tell if my student has Federal Work-Study?

A.Students who receive Federal Work-Study funds can view their award on MaineStreet under the “Financial Aid Award.” You can have the student print this screen and provide this to you as proof of their Work-Study award. Additionally, if you have hired a student already, check your earnings report to see if the student has Federal Work-Study and how much of it they’ve already earned. Also, you may go to the Monitoring Student Federal Work-Study Award Earnings page by clicking here to see how to view the award on MaineStreet. You can only view the award in this manner if the student has already begun working for you.

Previous to Disciplinary Procedures


Back to Employer Resources