Skip Navigation

Award Information - What Does it Mean if I Have a Negative Balance on My Bill?

If you have a negative balance on your bill, it means you are getting a refund. How you receive this refund depends on what you tell the Bursar’s Office to do with it. You can let the Bursar’s Office know what you’d like done with your refund using MaineStreet. You can either:

Enroll in Direct Deposit

Information on how to set up or modify Direct Deposit of Refunds is now available on the Bursar’s Website at:

Hold the money on you account for future charges

If you want your extra funds held on your account for future charges, complete the following steps and the funds will remain on your account.

Prior to your funds disbursing, complete the following steps:

  1. Log onto MaineStreet.
  2. Click Student Self-Service.
  3. Click Student Center.
  4. Click Self Service.
  5. Click Campus Finances.
  6. Click Student Authorization.
  7. Click Select for the University of Maine.
  8. Check the “Please select to hold a Credit Balance on your account for future charges” box.
  9. Click Save.
  10. Click Return.

You must do this every semester if you’d like this option.

Have the Bursar’s Office mail your refund check

You do not need to do anything to have your refund check mailed to you. The Bursar’s Office will automatically mail your refund check to the Mailing Address listed on your MaineStreet account.

*Note: If you are billed after receiving a refund (due to enrollment changes, etc.), you will be responsible for those charges.

Next to How Do I Report Outside Aid?

Previous to How is My Bill Calculated?


Back to Award Information