Skip Navigation
Return to Layout View | Home | A-Z Directory | my UMaine | MaineStreet | Campus Map | Calendar
Follow UMaine on Twitter | Join UMaine on Facebook | Watch UMaine on YouTube | Admissions | Parents & Family | Emergency

Student Financial Aid

Site Navigation:

Applying For Financial Aid - What Additional Documents Do I Need to Submit (To Do List)?

Click here for instructions on how to submit required additional information.

In order to comply with Federal regulations we may ask you to provide information that verifies the data you provided on your FAFSA. This information could include, but is not limited to, using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, an official tax transcript*, your parent’s official tax transcript* and independent or dependent verification forms.

Requests for information will be done through your MaineStreet To Do List and will include detailed instructions and links to specific forms. It is very important you respond to these requests by our document due date of May 15th and follow instructions closely otherwise you will be considered a late filer and your aid could be affected.

You do not need to send us supporting documents unless we request them specifically from you.

Please make sure you fill out the forms completely (leave no field blank) and include your Student ID on all documents. Failure to follow instructions carefully will delay processing.

If you are ineligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool and must submit a tax transcript to our office, click here for specific directions on requesting a transcript.

Please note, if you or your parents are required to submit official tax transcripts it may take approximately 5-10 business days after your tax return has been processed to be able to access a transcript. Electronically filed tax returns take approximately 1-2 weeks to process after the return has been filed.  Paper filed tax returns take approximately 6-8 weeks to process after the return has been filed.

For all amended tax return filers: You must submit a signed copy of your original tax return (Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ) and a copy of the amended tax return (1040X). This is the only instance where you may submit a tax return.

** Parents and/or students that filed a joint tax return and are separated/divorced, should contact our office for further instructions**


Next to What if I Have Special Circumstances?

Previous to What if I Missed the Priority Filing Deadline (March 1)?

Back to Applying For Financial Aid


Additional Links

Contact Information

Student Financial Aid
5781 Wingate Hall
Orono, Maine 04469
Phone: (207) 581-1324 | Fax: (207) 581-3261E-mail:
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469