Return to Layout View
Follow UMaine on Twitter
Join UMaine on Facebook
Watch UMaine on YouTube
Parents & Family
Apply to UMaine
Academics - Learning Goals
Department of Sociology
- Understanding social reality and society.
- Research and statistical skills for evaluating and gathering evidence about social life and social relations.
- Knowledge about basic concepts such as culture, socialization, stratification, institutions, self deviance, and so forth.
- Knowledge about how the self develops sociologically rather than psychologically.
- Understanding how institutions like the family, education, and the economy are interrelated.
- Understanding the significance of variations by race, social class, gender, and age.
- Ability to think critically about social events and to present opposing viewpoints and alternative hypotheses on various social issues.
Ver. February 28, 2013
Back to Academics
Find us on Facebook
5728 Fernald Hall, Room 201
The University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469
Phone: (207) 581-2380 | Fax: (207) 581-1762E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org