Field Instructor Information - Becoming a Field Instructor
We welcome your interest in becoming a field instructor for our BSW and MSW programs. As a University of Maine School of Social Work field instructor, you are providing students with invaluable guidance, insight and mentorship in the field.
How to Become a Field Instructor for the University of Maine School of Social Work
Qualifications for all Field Instructors: Social workers who provide BSW level Field Instruction must hold the BSW and/or the MSW degree. Social Workers who provide MSW level Field Instruction must hold the MSW degree. In addition, all University of Maine School of Social Work Field Instructors must meet the following criteria:
- Have two or more years of post-BSW and/or post-MSW social work experience;
- Have been employed by the current field setting for at least 6 months prior to the student’s arrival
- Agree to provide 1-1.5 hours of supervision per week
- Attend UMaine SSW Field Instructor training and orientation
How to apply
If you meet the qualifications above, please complete and return the Agency Application for Field Placement form (PDF & Excel). The application form includes the necessary paper work for your affiliation as a field instructor at your place of employment. Once your application is received, the Field Education Department will review your application and add your information to our database. We will contact you when there is an appropriate internship opportunity.
UMaine School of Social Work Field Instructor Benefits
Field Instructors with an active internship enjoy these benefits:
- Discounted registration fees for continuing education seminars
- Free CEU’s for workshops sponsored by the UMaine School of Social Work Field Education Department