Guide to Campus Living - Lock Out Policy
Lock Out Policy
- It is the resident’s responsibility to keep their room key or MaineCard on their person at all times.
- If a resident should find themselves locked out of their room they should contact their roommate first, then find the Resident Assistant to let them back in the room or go to Complex Office during open hours for a Residence Life staff member to help. Only in the event of an emergency should you contact UMPD during normal business hours.
- If a student is locked out of their room between the hours of 1:00AM and 7:00AM they must call UMPD. Resident Assistants do not respond to lockouts during these hours. Students should keep in mind that they may need to wait some time before being let back into their rooms.
- All students will be required to show a picture ID either before or after being let in the room to ensure the safety and security of all students on campus. Students will also be required to produce the key or MaineCard upon entry to the room, or a lock change will be ordered at the student’s expense.
- Lockout codes will not be issued unless the resident is able to provide alternate picture identification.
- Students are only permitted 3 lockouts during a semester. The fourth lockout will result in a referral to the student conduct process.