Guide to Campus Living - Fire Policies
Fire Alarm Procedures
Anticipate a fire drill at the beginning of each academic year. When ANY fire alarm sounds students should:
- Evacuate the residence hall immediately
- Close and lock their room doors when exiting
- Not re-enter the halls until the Fire Department personnel signal that it is ok to re-enter the building
- Call 911 or (207)581-4040 and give their specific location if they are unable to exit the building for any reason
- Speak with Residence Life staff at the beginning of the year, or as soon as such an accommodation is needed, if an elevator is required in order for the student to exit their residence hall during such an emergency. This includes temporary circumstances such as being on crutches. Staff will assign a stairwell location where the student in need of assistance exiting should wait for rescue staff.
Fire Safety Regulations
- Tampering with or pulling a fire alarm maliciously is a criminal act. Tampering in any way with fire safety equipment, which includes smoke detectors, sprinkler systems, exit lights, and/or fire extinguishers, is a violation of the Student Code of Conduct.
- Alarms activated by student error, such as by cooking, do occur, however students can be held responsible for the cost of cleaning or repair beginning at $100.00. If this is a continuous behavior on the part of an individual student, then the student is billed for restitution.
- False alarms are a federal offense and students in violation may receive up to $400 in fines per false alarm.
- Students may not cover or remove emergency exit signage posted on their door.
Back to Guide to Campus Living