Through collaborative efforts and continuous transformation we seek to be a model of excellence in serving our students.
Residence Life intentionally fosters communities that create a sense of belonging and provides active learning environments that enhance our students’ engagement in their own development and academic success.
Residence Life Learning Outcomes
The Department of Residence Life recognizes that our students’ education is not limited solely to what is learned within the classroom. Our goal is that each student who lives in a residence hall during their time at the University of Maine will take away from that experience the learning outcomes listed below. We strive to teach our students these learning outcomes through residence hall activities, academic initiatives, bulletin boards, information sessions, floor meetings, and personal conversations between our staff and students.
- Students will be engaged in their communities and take ownership of the development of inclusivity, trust, respect, safety and civility.
- Students will respect the ideas and beliefs of others.
- Students will understand the interconnectedness of one’s actions with the experiences of others.
- Students will demonstrate personal responsibility.
- Students will demonstrate a genuine interest and investment in the safety and well-being of others.
- Students will engage in an environment that encourages curiosity, reflection, integration and the application of learning to their life experiences.
- Students will develop confidence through the discovery of their strengths and talents.
- Students will be proactive and solution-focused, rather than reactive and avoidant.
- Students will develop a perspective on themselves, the world and their future that equips them for success in college and beyond.
- Students will continuously develop themselves and build the skills needed to communicate and empathize with others.
- Students will develop and trust their ability to think, care, and advocate for themselves.
- Students will establish and maintain positive relationships with others.
- Students will develop a willingness to learn, understand and welcome differences within a global society.
- Students will contribute to social change and engage in communities with a global perspective.
- Students will understand their roles and responsibilities within communities.
- Students will be conscious of their impact on others and their environment.
- Students will appreciate and participate in activities that benefit others.
- Students will work to lessen their carbon footprint.