Welcome to Residence Life
Making your campus living experience a great one!
Residence Life oversees the day-to-day staffing and operations within the residence halls here at UMaine. Our staff works with other faculty and staff from across the university campus to build safe, inclusive and welcoming communities for all of our residential students.
The First Year Experience (FYE) is the overarching program that works to connect first-year students to the University of Maine campus and to their peers, while also helping first-year students be academically successful.
- We require all first-year students to live on-campus for their full first year at UMaine
- We offer seven residence halls dedicated to housing our newest students
- We offer seven unique themed housing communities, which provide first-year students with instant connections to their hallmates
- We have a First Year Center dedicated to supporting first-year students in their academic success, and as they navigate the university campus
The Second Year Experience is the overarching program that works to support second-year students as they continue to develop their academic and career interests.
- We offer four residence halls dedicated to housing second-year students
- We assist second-year students who are still working to find the right major/minor/career path
- We assist second-year students as they develop their resumes and seek out opportunities to get experience in their intended field
- We continue to connect second-year students to valuable campus resources
For more information about our residence halls, programs and staff, please check out the rest of our website.
- All residence halls except Knox, DTAV/Patch, York and Kennebec close for winter break on Friday, December 16 at 5:00pm. Students should plan to vacate their residence halls within 24 hours after their last final, or by Friday at 5:00pm- whichever comes first.
- All residence halls re-open for spring semester 2017 on Sunday, January 16 at 10:00am. Any students new to UMaine for spring semester should plan to check in at their residence hall front desk on either Sunday, January 16 or Monday, January 17 between 10:00am and 11:00pm.
- All residence halls except Knox, DTAV/Patch, York, and Kennebec will close for spring break on Friday, March 3 at 5:00pm.
- All residence halls re-open for the remainder of spring semester on Sunday, March 19 at 10:00am. Classes resume on Monday, March 20.
- All residence halls close for summer on Friday, May 12 at 5:00pm. Students should plan to vacate their residence halls within 24 hours after their last final, or by Friday at 5:00pm- whichever comes first. Students interested in living on-campus while taking summer courses will need to apply for summer housing through Housing Services. Student participating in graduation (as a graduate or as an employee of a campus department) must submit their intent to stay until Saturday, May 13 for graduation to Housing Services (email@example.com). All students staying for graduation must vacate their residence halls by 5:00pm on Saturday, May 13.
- For fall semester 2016, new students should plan to arrive on campus on Friday, August 26 between 8:00am and 4:00pm for our annual Maine Hello event. Returning students should plan to check into their residence halls on Sunday, August 28 between 10:00am and 11:00pm. Classes begin Monday, August 29. New transfer students may plan to arrive on either date. No check-ins are available on Saturday, August 27, or in the days leading up to Friday, August 26 without special permission from the Department of Residence Life.
Image Description: ResLife