Minor in Professional Writing
Students in the minor have opportunities to study writing in many areas, including technical writing, professional document design, journalism, science writing, and other areas. You can plan your professional writing course list to match your goals.
In ENG 416, students work with IFixIt.com to create repair manuals for small devices.
The professional writing minor requires 18 credits. Refer to the Minor in Professional Writing Checklist (PDF).
- ENG 212: Persuasive & Analytical Writing
- choose one of the two:
- ENG 415: Advanced Report & Proposal Writing
- choice of three other courses:
- ENG 309: Writing Creative Nonfiction
- ENG 395: English Internship
- ENG 416: Technical Editing & Document Design
- ENG 418: Topics in Professional Writing (may be repeated)
- ENG 496 : Field Experience in Professional Writing (1-6 credits)
- NMD 206: Project Design laboratory I
- CMJ 236: Writing for the Mass Media
Occasionally, students identify a class in another department that focuses on writing in a specialized area to substitute for one elective.