ESL Endorsement - Eligibility for Endorsement
Requirements for State of Maine
English as a Second Language (ESL) Endorsement
Eligibility for Endorsement 660: English as a Second Language can be established by completing one of the three pathways. More information about each pathway can be found at http://www.maine.gov/education/esl/esl_endorsement.htm. The ESL endorsement is offered through the State of Maine Department of Education Certification Office however, Project Reach offers courses that fulfill individual requirements for this endorsement.
To apply for Endorsement 660 English as a Second Language (K-12) through the State of Maine Department of Education, you must obtain an Initial Certification Application. Visit www.maine.gov/doe/cert/initial/application/index.html to download an application and for detailed instructions. You will need to follow the seven steps below.
- Complete, print and sign application for initial certification: List endorsement code 660 and grade level K-12 in the Certification Request(s) area (below your personal/contact information).
- Enclose all official undergraduate and graduate transcripts: Transcripts must show the completed ESL classes, your bachelor’s/master’s degree received, and the date the degree was conferred.
- Include additional documentation, if necessary
- Enclose appropriate non-refundable fees
- Enclose explanation of application questions to which you answered “yes”
- Include examination scores, if applicable: Proof of passing Praxis scores
- Submit application
You will not be notified if any information is missing from your application and incomplete applications will not be processed. You can track your application through MEDMS.
To research or apply for State Endorsement contact:
State of Maine Department of Education, Certification Office
23 Statehouse Station, Augusta, ME 04333-0023
Telephone: 207.624.6603 / Fax: 207.624.6604
Or visit their website at http://maine.gov/doe/cert/