Tips for Printing Success
Tip 1: Plan ahead.
The best strategy for success is to plan ahead. Contacting Printing Services at least 10 days before you need your project will help your job move much smoother.
Tip 2: Know what you want.
The more you know about your job, the smoother the process will be for all involved! Have a clear vision of your project’s mission, goal, and objective in order to answer some basic questions about your job:
- Who is the contact person, what department do they work for, what is a phone number where they can be dependably contacted?
- What account number will be charged for your job?
- What is the name of your job?
- What is the final quantity of your job? Is your job based on a mailing database?
- What is the size of your project (e.g., 8 1/2 x 11; 11 x 17)?
- How many pages does your project have? Is there printing on only one side or on two?
- Are you printing in color or black and white?
- Will your job need binding, folding, or stapling?
- What type and color paper do you want to use?
- What file format will you send (e.g., Quark, Microsoft Word, InDesign, PDF, or other application) or will we be creating the file for you?
- Do you want us to proofread your job or just visually match it to your sample?
Tip 3: Request an estimate
After you know the basics about your project, take advantage of our complimentary estimate service. This process is especially helpful when you are working on a budget. The more information you provide, the more accurate the estimate will be. Some departments require an estimate be obtained prior to giving authorization for a printing job.
Tip 4: Consider reprinting
File copies of your completed printing jobs with the delivery slips that arrive with your jobs. Refer to these job numbers when placing a reorder to replenish your supplies. A reprint, even with changes, can save you money over starting a new job because most of the “front end” work has already been done. Include a copy of the document so we are certain to work with the most current files available.
Tip 5: Ask questions
Our staff is available to provide answers, suggest paper, inks, design layouts, and even offer creative marketing ideas if you need help with your project. If budget is an issue, we can offer the most cost-effective alternatives to meet your printing needs.