Return to Layout View
Follow UMaine on Twitter
Join UMaine on Facebook
Watch UMaine on YouTube
Parents & Family
Black Bear Athletics
- UMaine has won two NCAA Division I National Championships in men’s ice hockey in addition to 18 NCAA appearances and 11 Frozen Four appearances.
- Alfond Arena recognized as the college hockey rink with the “Best Atmosphere” by the Wall Street Journal (2011).
- Two Hobey Baker Award winners from UMaine (Scott Pellerin and Paul Kariya), recognized as the top NCAA men’s ice hockey player.
- 46 former Black Bears play in the NHL. JohnTortorella is head coach of the New York Rangers. Garth Snow is general manager of the New York Islanders.
- UMaine baseball has seven College World Series appearances and 16 NCAA regional appearances. Baseball has won seven conference titles, including the 2011 championship.
- UMaine baseball has had seven major league players in addition to coaches Brian Butterfield and Carl “Stump” Merrill.
- UMaine women’s basketball has won 13 conference titles and made seven NCAA Tournament appearances. Four All-Americans have combined for 14 All-American honors.
- UMaine football has won 11 conference titles and made six NCAA Tournament appearances, including three NCAA Final Eight appearances in the last 10 years. Maine played in the 1965 Tangerine Bowl.
- UMaine football has had 43 players in NFL camps. There are currently four players listed on NFL rosters. UMaine football has produced 35 All-Americans (2012).
- Three Black Bears have played in the Super Bowl.
- UMaine softball has won three conference titles and made UMaine’s first NCAA appearance by a women’s team in 1994.
- Former UMaine men’s basketball player Rick Carlisle led the Dallas Mavericks to a 2011 NBA Championship win, while Jim Boylan is an assistant coach with the Indiana Pacers.
- UMaine field hockey received its highest national ranking ever in 2011 when it was ranked 10th in the nation.
- Track and field great Viktoria Rybalko competed in the 2008 Summer Olympics and recently returned to UMaine as an assistant coach.
- UMaine track has garnered three All-America honors in the last two years.
Points of Pride