The Department of Philosophy annually recognizes excellence in philosophical writing by the Levinson Award. Any student of Philosophy currently enrolled and in residence at UM is eligible to submit papers to compete for the award.
The following rules govern the competition:
- The topic for each essay should be clearly related to philosophy.
- Papers should be typewritten, double-spaced, between eight and fifteen papers in length.
- Correctness in spelling and grammar is a condition of eligibility.
- The principal criterion for the award will be the quality of philosophical analysis displayed. If two papers are equally cogent philosophically, excellence of style
will also be considered.
- Papers should be submitted with two title pages.
The inner title page should omit the authorís name to facilitate blind reviewing.
- Papers should be submitted no later than Noon on Wednesday, April 16 to: Margaret Forbes, Department of Philosophy, The Maples.
The award will be presented at the end-of-year Department social gathering. The winner will receive an inscribed volume of philosophy relevant to his or her interests. The recipient’s name will be engraved on a plaque in the Department of Philosophy.