Skip Navigation
Return to Layout View | Home | A-Z Directory | my UMaine | MaineStreet | Campus Map | Calendar
Follow UMaine on Twitter | Join UMaine on Facebook | Watch UMaine on YouTube | Admissions | Parents & Family | Emergency

Parking Services

Site Navigation:

Handicap Parking

Handicap permitted vehicles have access to any handicap signed spaces including those within barricaded lots.  Contact us at 581-4047 for any parking assistance.

The University of Maine complies with the federal standards for the number of handicap-designated parking spaces in relation to the number of parking spaces on the campus.  These spaces are allocated in specific parking lots by the anticipated need in that area.

Q. I have a state issued handicap placard or plate for my vehicle; do I still need a University permit?

A. Yes.  We are a “parking-by-permit” campus.  Faculty, staff and students purchase a yearly permit.  Visitors to the campus may obtain a one-day permit free of charge or purchase a yearly permit.
Permits may be purchased at MaineCard Services, 130 Memorial Union or Parking and Transportation Services, 523 DTAV.  Visitor permits are available at MaineCard Services; Visitor Center; Alumni Buchanan House, 160 College Ave; Bear Necessities Athletic Store, Alfond Arena; or UMaine Police, 81 Rangeley Road.

Q. I broke my leg this past weekend skiing.  Can I get a temporary handicap permit for the six weeks I will be on crutches?

A. Yes, MaineCard Services or Parking and Transportation Services will issue you a temporary handicap permit for up to seven days.  This permit is valid for handicap spaces on the campus only.  You will  be provide you with a state handicap permit request form (PDF) requiring your doctor’s signature.  Take the completed form to the Department of Motor Vehicle Registry to obtain a longer-term handicap placard.

Q.I am a commuter student and walking from the CCA lot seems like a long ways on crutches.  Am I able to park closer to my destination?

A. Yes.  As long as both permits, a state handicap permit and University permit, are displayed, you can park in any handicap-designated space.

Q.I broke my leg this weekend, but I haven’t been able to get a handicap placard yet.  Anyone can see that I am handicapped so I parked in a handicap space.  Is this going to cause a problem?

A. Yes!  It may be obvious to you, but the enforcement officer wasn’t present when you got out of your vehicle.  You are going to be responsible for a $100 citation and the charge of having your vehicle towed and stored unnecessarily.  Avoid this by stopping at MaineCard or Parking and Transportation Services.

Q. I’m a student and when I arrive each morning for class all the handicap spaces are taken near my building.  I parked in the egress area (zebra striped area) and received a citation for improper parking.  Why?

A. The egress area is next to the handicap space reserved to allow a disabled person to get out of their vehicle.  If your vehicle is parked there, it limits accessibility.  If you find all the handicap spaces full, try an adjacent lot.  A parking lot on the other side of the building may have an open space.  If you continue having difficulties, contact Disability Support Services ,  581-2319 for shuttle service information.


Black Bear Orono Express

Click here to visit the Black Bear Orono Express Website.

On-Line Permit Sales

Click here to purchase your permit on-line.

Additional Links

Contact Information

Parking Services
5702 DTAV Community Building
Orono, ME 04469-5702
Phone: 207-581-4047 | Fax: 207-581-3386E-mail:
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469