GL Reader - GL Instructions
Instructions for using GLReader
GLReader requires Microsoft Access 2003 and Microsoft Excel 2003 or later. A “quick reference” version of these instructions also appears on the opening screen of GLReader.
Viewing a Project’s Financial Information
Step 1 – Download PeopleSoft information to an Excel spreadsheet:
- Log in to PeopleSoft GL Inquiry and display the project account you want to download.
- Make sure the “Display Details” box is checked.
- GL Inquiry will show up to three “sections” of information, each with an Excel icon at the upper right-hand corner of the section. Mouse over the icons and click the one labeled “Export to Excel – Revenue Detail”.
- Save the file to your desktop or other location of your choice.
Step 2 – Import the spreadsheet into GLReader:
- Open the GLReader.mdb file (Access).
- Enter a title – the PeopleSoft spreadsheet does not contain that attribute. You may use any title that works for you.
- Click the “Import PeopleSoft Data” button.
- Browse to the file created in Step 1.
- Click “OK” or “Open”. The information will be imported, saved and displayed in the reader. The default view includes encumbrances.
You can view it at any time by clicking the “View Saved Project Summaries” button.
Each time you import a spreadsheet it is saved as a new record the the reader. The buttons at the bottom of the screen allow you to page between the different imported records. Records that are no longer needed can be removed by using the “Delete” button. Any information that you enter is saved whenever you change records or close the screen. To view each fund code, leave the fund code blank in your GL Inquiry search and repeat Step 1 for each fund. For a consolidated view, choose “ALLFUND” in GL. The “Summary of Project Direct Costs” screen in GLReader allows you to do the following:
- 1. View balances with or without Encumbrances. Check or uncheck the “Include Encumbrances” box for the view you want. The corresponding printed report will correspond to the view selected. Changing the view does not change the underlying data, however the totals will include or exclude encumbrance amounts accordingly.
- 2. Add anticipated or pending charges. On the right side of the table is a column where you can add charges that have not appeared in the accounting system yet or charges that you anticipate making in the future in order to estimate how much of your remaining balance is still discretionary. Warning: spending from non-budgeted categories can affect the amount of indirect charged to the project. GLReader displays only direct cost data.
- 3. Printing. A printer-friendly version of the project financial information can be seen by clicking the “Print (preview)” button.
Use of GLReader as an audit review log:
GLReader conforms to the requirements for documentation of monthly project account reviews established by ORSP at the request of the Federal auditors under the following conditions:
- 1. The GL spreadsheet must be imported every month.
- 2. A monthly backup of the GLReader.mdb file must be made to insure against loss of data OR a copy of the report for each month may be printed, initialed by the reviewer, and filed for audit inspection.
If you have questions, suggestions or need technical support contact:
Cliff Wilbur (1-1419)
Information Systems Manager, ORSP