Skip Navigation

Travel - Travel 101

The travel office processes travel advances and expense vouchers and works closely with faculty and staff to ensure expenditures are reported accurately and reimbursed in a timely fashion.

Members of the University will be reimbursed for travel expenses related to conducting University business. Requests for reimbursement must be supported by the original receipts and must be approved by the appropriate departmental authorities. Reimbursement is governed by Administrative Practice Letter, section IV-B (PDF)

Before you leave for your trip:

  • Obtain written permission to travel from your supervisor.
  • Determine if your trip qualifies you for meal reimbursement(s).
    • Does your travel require an overnight stay?   or…
    • Is your travel an “extended day”? (work day begins 2 hours earlier or ends 2 hours later)  See APL IV-B (PDF) pg 6 for more information
    • If your trip does qualify you for meal reimbursement(s), decide whether to request reimbursement at Per Diem or at Actual before you leave. Also be aware of reduced rates to account for partial day’s travel or for meals furnished at no cost to traveler (i.e. conferences).

    Per Diem Rate and Information

    CONUS, Continental United States (Does not include Alaska & Hawaii)

    $46 / Day for all cities and States
    Breakfast (20%) $9.20 Lunch (25%)  $11.50 Dinner (55%)  $25.30 Use these partial per diem amounts when you are not claiming the full 3-meal per diem. For example, if your conference registration payment included lunch you only claim the breakfast and dinner portions in the per diem column. (i.e.: $9.20 + $25.30 = $34.50)

    OCONUS, Outside Continental US (for ALL Cities / Countries)

    Per Diem Rates Query (link updated 5/10/11)The same percentages listed above apply to OCONUS rates for use on partial per diems.


  • Original and itemized receipts with proof of payment are required for all reimbursable expenses.
  • Tips are reimbursable up to 15% of the cost of any meal (you may round up to the next dollar).
  • The University does not reimburse travelers for alcohol.

If your Purchasing Card is used for any expenses on the trip:

  • The card must not be used for personal purposes, regardless of the intent to reimburse the University. These can include rental cars or hotel expenses for extra days, extra airfare expenses for a side trip, etc.
  • Please refrain from paying for others meals. For example, if Tom pays for Sally’s meal, she cannot be reimbursed at a per diem rate because the University has already paid for a meal at actual. If Sally submits and is reimbursed her travel expenses before Tom and has already been capped at $48 for the day and Tom paid for her lunch, money will have to be taken out of Tom’s reimbursement.

After you return from your trip:

  • Complete a Travel Expense Voucher (TEV) (Excel)within 30 business days (or within 5 business days if you received a travel advance). Completing the TEV using the computer versus hand written helps ensure we charge the proper chartfield and also calculates the reimbursable total.  TEV’s are processed Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 3:30 pm
    • If there are Prepaid or PCard expenses related to the trip, be sure to document those charges in the Expenses Paid by Univ. column of the TEV to fulfill our requirement for our quarterly state legislative report.
    • Deduct any expenses, alcohol purchases, or excessive tip amounts from your non-purchasing card/personal receipts. If you are seeking only a partial reimbursement of the receipt amount, please clearly indicate the amount that is referenced on the TEV.
    • Turn in original PCard receipts to your Purchasing Card Coordinator if applicable.
    • Obtain a signature of authorized approval for your TEV, and submit it to Vicki Barbalias at Business Services

Travel Mileage Reimbursement Rate – .44 / mile

Handicap Equipped Vehicle Rate – .54 / mile

Options for Making Airfare Arrangements

  • Contact a travel agency listed on the Travel Agency Payment Form and obtain a quote.  If you choose this method, complete the form, have it approved and fax the form to the agency. The agency works directly with Budget & Business Services to process the invoice.


  • Search online and find a rate that you choose.  Pay with your personal credit card and seek reimbursement prior to your trip by using the Travel Expense Voucher or choose to be reimbursed after your trip.  Attach ORIGINAL documentation (confirmation from the agent) as your receipt.  Please be certain to list the actual trip dates on the voucher, not the purchase date of the ticket.

Click here to download a copy of this document (Word)

Back to Travel