The Schoodic International Sculpture Symposium (SISS) has named the sculptors for each of the eight sponsor sites that will receive artwork made during this summer’s symposium, which is being held in partnership with the University of Maine.
Each sponsor committee reviewed the portfolios of the eight artists and then selected its top three choices of sculptors that the sponsor felt best matched the site and the spirit of the community. SISS art director Jesse Salisbury made the final match selections.
“This time, as in past symposia, we were able to match each artist with a community that selected that artist as one of their top choices,” Salisbury says. “The final matches are always exciting. There are an amazing variety of artistic styles represented each time, but also the sites for the finished work are very unique and the committees involved all have their own character. Somehow, this merges in the matching process and we are able to match our artists with sites that suit their work and committees that respond to their unique style.”
The sculptor-sponsor matches are as follows:
- Acadia Hospital – Andreas Von Huene (Woolwich, Maine)
- City of Bangor – Koichi Ogino (Japan)
- Husson University – Hwang Seung-Woo (Republic of Korea)
- City of Old Town – Ton Kalle (Netherlands)
- Town of Orono – Shan-Chi Teng (Taiwan)
- UMaine campus (Oxford Hall) – Lee Zih-Cing (Taiwan)
- UMaine campus (Nutting Hall) – Tim Shay (Old Town, Maine)
- University of Maine Foundation – Johnny Turner (New Zealand)
This year’s symposium will be held July 22-Aug. 30 and is a partnership between SISS and UMaine. The sculptors will work during their six weeks at UMaine from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. most days of the week in the steam plant parking lot off College Avenue in Orono. The site is free and open to members of the public who want to watch the sculptors at work.
Each sponsor community is doing its own fundraising for SISS. For more information, please contact the following community representatives:
- Acadia Hospital: Lynda Rohman, firstname.lastname@example.org
- City of Bangor: Judy Boothby, email@example.com
- Husson University: Julie Green, firstname.lastname@example.org
- City of Old Town: James Dufour, email@example.com
- Town of Orono: Lianne Harris, firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of Maine: Janet Waldron, email@example.com.
- University of Maine Foundation: Judith Round, firstname.lastname@example.org