Skip Navigation



1. What languages are available?

You can study French, German, Greek (Classical), Latin, and Spanish in the regular course format, plus less common languages through the Critical Languages Program (e.g. Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Turkish).  For a full list of languages and levels available each term through the Critical Languages Program, please contact the Department of Modern Languages & Classics (Nives Da Bo Wheeler: 581-2476 or x2072).  

2. I’ve had some language study in high school. How do I know what level of language to take?

You can take a free placement test online, which will let you know which level is best for you.  This is available for French, German, and Spanish.  For Latin and Ancient Greek, please consult Professor Passman ( or Professor Jane Smith ( 

You can also get a good idea of what level you should take by the assumption that one year of high school language is usually equivalent to one semester of college language study.

3. Are all languages available for me to begin and continue my language study in fall 2011?

For fall 2011, Elementary French, Accelerated French, German, Greek, and Spanish are available in the classroom.  Elementary Latin is available online.  Intermediate language courses in French, German and Spanish are available in the classroom.  Intermediate Latin is also available in the classroom, listed under MLC 190.001.

4. What about upper level courses?

You can take upper level courses in French, German, Latin and Spanish, but not all courses are available every semester.  When you register, please consult the schedule of classes or the Department of Modern Languages and Classics to learn what courses are available. 

5. What languages can I major in?

You can major in French and Spanish. You can also major in Romance Languages – French and Spanish, and Modern Languages – German and French or Spanish.

6. What languages can I minor in?

You can minor in French, German, Latin, and Spanish. You can also minor in Classical Studies.

7.  What about study abroad?

The department offers several travel study courses, and the Office of International Programs can provide information about extensive opportunities to study in your target language.  Please use the navigation bar to the right to view descriptions of travel study courses or visit the OIP web page.