Request for Proposals 104(b) - Pre-proposal Process
Pre-proposals are required for this competition. Three page pre-proposals will be selected by a panel consisting of the ex-officio members of the Water Resources Research Institute’s state advisory committee:
- Chief of the USGS Science Center, Maine office,
- Director of the DEP Environmental Evaluation division,
- Maine Geological Survey hydrogeologist,
- Water quality specialist in Cooperative Extension, and
- WRRI Program Director of the Mitchell Center (or designee).
The invitation rate for pre-proposals has ranged from 20% to 40% in recent years. Based on preliminary budgets submitted in pre-proposals, full proposals are typically invited for 120% to 150% of the expected level of available funding; therefore the success rate for invited full proposals is typically 60% to 80%.
Pre-proposal submissions need institutional approval prior to submission only to the extent necessary to convince the pre-proposal panel that the budgets are realistic and that adequate matching funds will be available.
Three page pre-proposal deadline: Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Pre-proposals must be sent as MS Word compatible attachments to UMGMC@maine.edu.
The document can be no more than 3 pages in length. It should be set in 12 point type with one inch margins on all sides. The document must be entirely self-contained and self-explanatory; no cover letter is allowed. The following document structure is highly recommended as it follows the format for a full proposal:
- Project title
- PIs and affiliations (contact information for the lead PI)
- Project dates and duration
- Agency funds requested
- Proposed match and source of funds
- Project synopsis (one paragraph – provided in 3rd person, present tense for publication purposes)
- Objectives (bulleted)
- Methods outline
- Impact of project (one paragraph)
- Expected deliverables (bulleted)
- Investigators qualifications (one paragraph; no CVs)
- Budget description (one paragraph)
- Budget outline in the following format:
|Cost Category||Program Funds||Non-Federal Match|
|Students (no fringe benefits)|
|Fringe benefits @ (rate)|
|Other (eg. tuition)|
|Total Direct Costs|
|IDC on Program $|
|IDC on Match|
See “Fiscal Guidelines” under the full proposal procedures listed below for additional budget information.
PIs of pre-proposals to be invited for full proposals will be notified by Friday June 21, 2013.