Request for Proposals 104(b) - Collaboration
Projects will be given extra consideration by the review panel if they are developed with:
- USGS scientists in the National Water Quality Assessment program, or in the Water Resources or Biological Resources Divisions of USGS in Maine (Augusta or Orono field offices),
- DEP or UMaine scientists in the Maine Surface Water Ambient Toxic program,
- Maine Geological Survey scientists working in watersheds identified by the Water Resources Planning Committee,
- other agency initiatives, or
- other multi-institutional collaborations.
The goals of these collaborations are a) for broader use and awareness of existing academic, state, and federal data, and b) research that builds on existing data to further investigate issues beyond the scope of agency resources. Investigators should clearly identify collaborations in pre-proposals and proposals. Mitchell Center staff can assist PIs in making connections with potential collaborators (call 581-3244).
See http://www.umaine.edu/waterresearch/research/funded.htm for a partial listing of University and agency environmental scientists. Experience has shown that single-investigator proposals do poorly in research competitions due to the inherent multi-disciplinary needs of applied research: Single investigator proposals are discouraged.