Faculty and Staff - Senthil Vel
Senthil S. Vel, Ph.D.
Arthur O. Willey Professor of Mechanical Engineering
5711 Boardman Hall, Room 214
University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469-5711
Phone: (207) 581-2777
Fax: (207) 581-2379
Curriculum Vitae (pdf)
Publications (Downloadable pdf files)
Dr. Senthil Vel is the Arthur O. Willey Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Maine. His research encompasses a broad range of topics in theoretical and computational solid mechanics, including laminated composites, functionally graded materials, multiscale modeling, computational micromechanics of heterogeneous materials and active structures.
Click on image below for a complete list of journal publications with citation data
- Ph.D. Engineering Mechanics
Virginia Tech, 1998
- M.A. Mathematics
University of Pittsburgh, 1996
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering
University of Pittsburgh, 1996
- B.Tech. Aerospace Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, India, 1993
- Theoretical and Computational Solid Mechanics – Exact solutions for thick anisotropic plates and shells, application of finite element and meshless methods, multiscale analysis of composite materials, computational micromechanics, mathematical homogenization of polycrystalline aggregates.
- Composite Materials – Development of three-dimensional elasticity solutions for thick composite structures, vibration and dynamic response of composite structures, analysis of sandwich composite structures, tapered sandwich structures, random heterogeneous materials.
- Functionally Graded Materials – Analytical and computational techniques for the transient coupled thermoelastic analysis of functionally graded structures, simulation-based design of advanced material systems, application of mathematical optimization techniques for the design of material composition, microstructure and structural topology.
- Smart Structures – Analysis and applications of a class of smart structures composed of piezoelectric materials integrated with composite structures, piezothermoelastic analysis of smart structures, structural health monitoring, active vibration suppression using piezoelectric actuators.
- Structural Optimization – Application of genetic algorithms for the optimization of composite structures and functionally graded materials, multi-objective optimization techniques for continuous and discrete design variables.
Honors and Awards:
- Professor of the Year, Sigma Phi Epsilon, University of Maine, 2006.
- Junior Achievement Award, American Academy of Mechanics, 2005. The award is given once a year, to one post-graduate researcher, to recognize outstanding research during the first decade of their professional career.
- Dean’s Award of Excellence, College of Engineering, University of Maine, 2002 and 2004.
- Award for Outstanding Accomplishments in Teaching by Young Faculty, College of Engineering, University of Maine, October 2003.
- Dean’s list of outstanding instructors for 1999-2000, College of Engineering, Virginia Tech.
- MEE 150 Applied Mechanics Statics
- MEE 252 Statics and Strength of Materials
- MEE 370 Modeling, Analysis and Control of Mechanical Systems
- MEE 381 Design II
- MEE 450 Introduction to the Mechanics of Composite Materials
- MEE 550 Mechanics of Laminated Composite Structures
- MEE 554 Theory of Elasticity
- MEE 557 Introduction to Continuum Mechanics
- Vel S.S., 2010. Exact elasticity solution for the vibration of functionally graded anisotropic cylindrical shells, Composite Structures, 92: 2712–2727.
- Vel, S.S., Goupee A.J., 2010. Multiscale thermoelastic analysis of random heterogeneous materials. Part I: Microstructure characterization and homogenization of material properties, Computational Materials Science, 48: 22-38.
- Pelletier, J.L., Vel, S.S., 2006. Multi-objective optimization of fiber reinforced composite laminates for strength, stiffness and minimal mass, Computers & Structures, 84: 2065-2080.
- Vel, S.S., Baillargeon B.P., 2005. Analysis of static deformation, vibration and active damping of cylindrical composite shells with piezoelectric shear actuators, Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, 127: 395-407.
- Vel, S.S., Batra, R.C., 2004. Three-dimensional exact solution for the vibration of functionally graded rectangular plates, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 272: 703-730.
- Vel, S.S., Batra, R.C., 2002. Exact solution for thermoelastic deformations of functionally graded thick rectangular plates, AIAA Journal, 40: 1421-1433.
- Vel, S.S., Batra, R.C., 2000. Three-dimensional analytical solutions for hybrid multilayered piezoelectric plates, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 67: 558-567.
Image Description: senthil06
Back to Faculty and Staff