Faculty and Staff - Krish Thiagarajan’s home page
I joined the University of Maine in 2011, as the Alston D and Ada Lee Presidential Chair in Energy. Concurrently I am a Professor of Mechanical Engineering. Until recently, I served as Professor of Mechanical engineering at the University of Western Australia in Perth. From 2007 – 10, I was also leader of the Offshore and Subsea Facilities research program within the Western Australian Energy Research Alliance based in Perth.
Our research team:
- Krish P Thiagarajan
- Floating system dynamics
- Fluid structure interaction
- Experimental methods
- Model testing
- Computational fluid dynamics
- Zhigang (Kevin) Tian, Research Scientist
- Air-sea interaction
- Wave hydrodynamics
- Experimental flow visualization
- Michael Macnicoll (MSE)
- Wave energy conversion
- Wei-ting Hsu (PhD)
- Offshore floating wind turbine dynamics.
- Carlos Ariel (PhD)
- Exchange student from Technical University of Madrid, Sep – Dec 2012.
- Erich Engelhart
- Work study
- James Murphy
- Work study
- Raul Urbina, PhD
- Tidal energy systems
- MuhamadKamarudinMEngSc (University of Western Australia)
- Vortex-induced Vibration
- MohamadAsamudin, PhD (University of Western Australia)
- Current induced vibration in spars and circular FPSO
Refereed Journal Publications
- Thiagarajan, K P, and Repalle, N, “Wave run-up on columns of deep water platforms”, J. Eng Maritime Env. Special Issue on Structural Analysis of Deep Water Offshore Structures: Current status and emerging future trends, accepted on September 1, 2012 (Invited publication).
- Pistani, F. and Thiagarajan, K P, (2012) “Experimental measurements and data analysis of the impact pressures in a sloshing experiment”, Ocean Engng, vol 52 (1 Oct 2012), pp 60-74.
- Rafiee, A., Cummins, S., Rudman, M., and Thiagarajan, K. P., (2012) “Comparative study on the accuracy and stability of SPH schemes in simulating energetic free-surface flows”, European J. Mechanics – B/Fluids doi:10.1016/j.euromechflu.2012.05.001. (Featured in the most downloaded articles from SciVerse ScienceDirect in the three month period from June – August 2012).
- Kiu, K Y, Stappenbelt, B and Thiagarajan, K P, (2011) “Effects of Uniform Surface Roughness on Vortex-induced Vibration of Towed Vertical Cylinders”, J. Sound Vibration 330, 20, 4753 – 4763.
- Thiagarajan, K P, Rakshit, D and Repalle, N, (2011) “The air-water sloshing problem: fundamental analysis and parametric studies on excitation and fill levels”, Ocean Engng., 38, 498 – 508.
- Rakshit, D, Narayanaswamy, R, and Thiagarajan, K P, (2011) “Estimation of entropy generation due to heat transfer from a liquid in an enclosure”, Aust & NZ Indust. Appl. Math. Jl 51 (EMAC 2009 special Edition) pp C852-873.
Refereed conference proceedings
- Thiagarajan, K. P. and Tian, Z., (2012), Heading instability of moored ships in long waves, Proceedings 2012 SNAME Annual Meeting, Soc. Naval Arch. Marine Engrs. Providence, RI.
- Thiagarajan, K. P. and Dagher, H. J., (2012), State-of-the-art review of floating platform concepts for offshore wind energy generation, Proceedings 31st Int. Conf. Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engng. (OMAE 2012), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Repalle, N, Rafiee, A, Thiagarajan, K P, Kantharaj, M, (2011) Simulation of free surface benchmark problems using level set and SPH Methods, Proceedings 30th Int Conf. Offshore Mech Arctic Eng (OMAE 2011), Paper 2011-49215, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
- Rafiee, A, Cummins, S, Rudman, M, Thiagarajan, K P, (2011) The effect of pressure solution in SPH simulations of sloshing flow, Proceedings 30th Int Conf. Offshore Mech Arctic Eng (OMAE 2011), Paper 2011-49215, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
- Pistani, F, Thiagarajan, K P, Roddier, D and Finnigan, T, (2011) Comparison of sloshing impacts for rectangular and chamfered LNG tanks, Proceedings 30th Int Conf. Offshore Mech Arctic Eng (OMAE 2011), Paper 2011-49452, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.