Faculty and Staff - Justin Poland , Ph.D.
201 Boardman Hall
University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469-5711
Phone: (207) 581-2130
Fax: (207) 581-2379
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering
University of Colorado, Boulder, 1979
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering
Northeastern University, 1970
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering
University of Maine, 1968
Energy conservation in buildings, Collection and use of solar energy, HVAC and refrigeration systems.
Dr. Poland teaches junior/senior level required courses in mechanical laboratory experimentation, design projects and technical elective courses in thermodynamics and heat transfer applied to heating and cooling of buildings, solar energy systems and combustion engines. He also teaches graduate level courses in viscous fluid mechanics and advanced thermodynamics (applied to combustion). The technical courses he offers includes:
- Refrigeration and Air-conditioning System Design
- Solar-Thermal Engineering
- Thermodynamic Design of Engines
His research interests are in numerically modeling energy saving techniques for buildings, appliances, and machines. Recent work has focused on performance of phase-change-material wallboard and performance of thin ice banks as refrigerant condenser or evaporator.
- MEE 433 Solar-Thermal Engineering
- MEE 434 Thermodynamic Design of Engines
- MEE 442 Mechanical Laboratory II
- MEE 443 Mechanical Laboratory III
- MEE 486 Refrigeration and Air Conditioning System Design
- MEE 562 Advanced Fluid Mechanics