The Summer Session starts with May Term and includes all sessions through August. The amount and type of financial aid available to you will depend on what financial aid you have already received during the previous fall and spring semesters, as well as what your enrollment plans are for the summer.
Visit www.umaine.edu/stuaid/summer for more information on the different financial aid programs that are available during the summer semester.
Use the following as a checklist to prepare yourself for the Summer Session 2012:
- Apply for Federal Financial Aid: Make sure that you have filed your 2011-2012 FAFSA. Eligibility for the Summer Session 2012 is based on information provided on the 2011-2012 FAFSA.
- Plan Ahead: A financial aid advisor can help you put together a plan at any time during the year. In fact, you may need to adjust your financial aid plans for the fall and spring semesters to ensure that you have some remaining eligibility for the summer.
- Decide How Many Classes You Will Take: Most financial aid programs have certain requirements regarding the minimum number of credits you must take in order to be eligible. Visit www.umaine.edu/stuaid/summer or stop by the Financial Aid Office for more information regarding summer enrollment requirements.
- Register for Classes: Delays in registering for summer classes could cause delays in the processing of your financial aid.
- Meet with a Financial Aid Advisor: The best time to meet with an advisor for a specific estimate of your summer financial aid eligibility is in MARCH, after you have registered for Summer Session.
- Apply for Federal Work-Study: You must complete a Summer Federal Work-Study Application in early spring in order to be eligible for Summer Federal Work-Study. The application can be found on the Office of Student Employment’s website at http://www.umaine.edu/studemp/. Summer Federal Work-Study applications are due April 6, 2012.
- Let the Bursar’s Office Know What Financial Aid You Expect to Receive: Complete your Anticipated Resources on MaineStreet to notify the Bursar’s Office of all anticipated aid.
- Notify the Financial Aid Office of ANY Changes: ANY changes to Summer Session enrollment could affect your financial aid eligibility. Contact our office if you are planning on changing your enrollment in ANY way.