Skip Navigation
Return to Layout View | Home | A-Z Directory | my UMaine | MaineStreet | Campus Map | Calendar | Apply | Give Now | Emergency
Follow UMaine on Twitter | Join UMaine on Facebook | Watch UMaine on YouTube | Admissions | Parents & Family |

Maine Outing Club

Site Navigation:

Club History


Maine Campus article headline- “University Outing Club to be Organized.” It was written that there was “hope of being a real club in the future”. The first trip was to Chemo Pond, here is a photo of some of the first members


A Maine Campus article stated that the “Outing Club has began to show real activity”.


It was during this year that the Club became an official University club.


The MOC logo image with the pine tree and the words “Maine Outing Club” was adopted


The Walker Lumber Camp at Chemo Pond was leased. The cabin at the Camp had eight hemlock bunks but “by using the floor for sleeping quarters, twenty five may be accomodated.” The Club’s insignia, the pine tree with the letters M.O.C. in a triangle was decided upon . Unlike the logo, the insignia was earned by proving oneself through a points system.


The Club took over the Winter Carnival from the Intramural Athletic Association.


The wood burning stove was added to the Walker Lumber Camp which “greatly increased its livability”.


The Club begins to look into a cabin of its own on near by lakes.


The Club held one of its Informal Dances (image of a dance card)


The first known woman Club President was elected – Alice H. Bagley.


The Intercollegiate Outing Club Association (IOCA) was formed and had its first Conference meeting.


During the Spring Semester the executive group called the Pack and Pine was formed. The Club joined the Intercollegiate Outing Club Association and sent delegates to the second IOCA Conference meeting.


A new tradition was formed during the Freshman Week which was the Freshman supper-hike to the Piney Knoll (aka the Pines). The Club constructed a lean-to on Fitts Pond and began to construct a cabin on Green Lake (maps of Piney Knoll, Fitts Pond and Green Lake).


The Club made its first winter trip to Mt. Washington during Christmas Break. During the Winter Carnival on Campus the Club held the first Snow Sculpture Contest (photos of the winners). The 1st prize winner received a trophy cup (photo of winner).


The Club continued to hold the now annual Snow Sculpture Contest.


On Maine Day the Club began to build its ski cabin across the Stillwater River.


The ski cabin (photo) was finished and dedicated on March 19, 1939.


The Club’s ski school open on February 7, 1941. The Club began a new tradition which would be the annual 3-day trip to Katahdin in June after Commencement.


The bi-weekly club newsletter, MOC-Trails was published. (The original copy of the newsletter can be found in the Special Collections Department in the Folger Library on Campus.)


Membership reached about 300 undergraduate members.


The Club won the Snow Sculpture Contest.


The new skating cabin was completed and open for use on January 22, 1949. The Club accepted responsibility for its 10.2 mile section of the Appalachian Trail, from Moxie Pond to Blanchard.


The Club was granted permission to use private cars on Club trips.


The Club won the Snow Sculpture Contest again.


The Club and the Forestry Department hosted the intercollegiate Woodsmen’s Weekend. The Club began search for a cabin again.


The Appalachian Trail lean-to on the lake was built.


The skating cabin was torn down for the new Gannett Hall dormitory.


The intercollegiate Woodsmen’s Weekend was hosted by the Club and the Forestry Department again. Permission to build the Club’s present Sugarloaf Cabin in Carrabassett Valley was secured and construction began. The monthly club newsletter, MOC-TALK was published (The original can be found in the Special Collections Department in the Folger Library on Campus.)


The Sugarloaf Cabin’s gable roof was added.


The first known article on the club’s history by John Burnham was published in the July 1966 issue of Alumnus magazine.


The MOC’s first student-faculty auction was held.


A semesterly published club newsletter called the Pine and Packet was published (The original can be found in the Special Collections Department in the Folger Library on Campus.)


The Club formed the Rock Climbing Committee and later published the climbing guide “Clifton Rock Climbs.”


The current woodshed was built during the Fall Semester (August) which holds approximately 15 cords of wood. The newsletter, MOC-TALK was revived again and was published from September 1993 until April 1994.


The Club’s office space was moved to Lord Hall.


During the Fall Semester the Club’s office space was moved back the Memorial Union into the Wade Center

We are currently looking for historical items – documents, photos and memorabilia. If you have any historical item please contact our Club Historian Nate Roscoe. With your help we can pass on the club’s history to future generations of members. Thank you.


Contact Information

Maine Outing Club
Memorial Union
Orono, Maine 04469
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469
A Member of the University of Maine System