FALL 2016: New MaineCard and classic MaineCard information!
Starting this summer with incoming new students and new employees, the MaineCard Service Center will issue a new design with the black bear logo for official University of Maine ID. What does this mean for classic MaineCard holders with the current Stevens Hall design? No worries; it’s still good. For more detailed information on both MaineCards, please click here!
NEW MaineCard Quick Facts
- Starting in summer 2016, the new MaineCard design will be issued to ALL NEW UMaine students, faculty & staff. All the same benefits and access you had on your classic MaineCard will be on the new MaineCard.
- The most important change is the tapping or hovering technology that will be in each new MaineCard which affects mostly resident and some commuter students.
- Even though it can still be swiped at other venues, resident students can just tap or hover over the new technology for access to their resident hall building, entry and access to resident dining halls and meal plans, and to pay for laundry and copies. This cost effective measure means less swiping means less wear and tear on the cards and equipment and more security.
- IMPORTANT: Please DO NOT punch holes in the NEW MaineCard. It will damage the internal circuitry of the new MaineCard tapping technology. Thank you!
CLASSIC MaineCard Quick Facts
- Classic MaineCard that many current MaineCard holders may possess will still be valid and accepted where you usually use it for entry to your buildings, access any accounts such as meal plans, dining funds, Black Bear Bucks, laundry funds, copy funds, FREE public transportation on buses and shuttles, etc.
- If faculty and staff are happy with their current classic MaineCard design, they can keep it and use it like usual.
- Anyone with a current card can upgrade to a new card for $5 and the exchange of their current valid MaineCard. We encourage resident students to upgrade for FREE since the technology in the card affects them primarily, however .
- This card will no longer be issued to new members of the UMaine community or as a replacement for lost or damaged cards. Instead they will be issued the NEW MaineCard.
Access, Services, Convenience and More!
The MaineCard is the official University of Maine ID. Eligible and valid cardholders include full- or part-time students, faculty and staff. While you are associated with the University, the MaineCard is the only card you will need to access facilities, services and optional spending accounts while on campus! Optional spending accounts include Dining Funds and Black Bear Bucks.
Take Advantage of Your Black Bear Bucks: The Only Way to Get Your Dining Discount at the Memorial Union and other UMaine Dining locations!
If you use Black Bear Bucks on your MaineCard for dining purchases at the Memorial Union, D.P. Corbett Business Building, Fogler Library and Hilltop Market, you will save 5% off your dining bill PLUS 8% sales tax for a total of 13% savings…but you have to use Black Bear Bucks for this on-going discount.
Use your MaineCard to:
- identify yourself as a UMaine student
- enter your residence hall
- use your Meal Plan at UMaine Dining locations
- pay for laundry services in the residence halls
- purchase items at the University Bookstore
- print at designated printers across campus
- enter and borrow materials from the Fogler Library
- make copies at Library copiers
- make purchases at participating off-campus merchants
- access campus recreation facilities and UMaine sporting events
- buy tickets to events at the Collins Center for the Arts
- FREE public transportation on buses and shuttles
- and so much more!
Save 15% on your in-store purchase at Epic Sports Outdoors Store!
Starting this fall semester, Epic Sports in downtown Bangor is going to be offering a Student Discount. Students will receive 15% off their in-store purchase when they present their valid MaineCard ID.* If your are the outdoors type you will love this place: hiking, camping, canoeing, water sports, running, etc! “We believe in providing high quality outdoor athletic equipment and apparel, appealing to everyone from the casual walker to the hardcore adventurer. Whether you think of yourself as an occasional exerciser, weekend warrior, or ‘adventure’ is your middle name: Epic Sports has the products and expertise to fit your needs!” For more info on the store go to their Facebook or website. *Some restrictions apply (discount not valid on consignment department, Banff tickets, or race registrations)
Image Description: NEW MaineCard
Image Description: Classic MaineCard
Image Description: the one card that does it all