Return to Layout View
Follow UMaine on Twitter
Join UMaine on Facebook
Watch UMaine on YouTube
Parents & Family
Research and Service Facilities
Farms, Gardens, and Greenhouses
- Aroostook Farm. Aroostook Farm in Presque Isle is the center for agricultural research and development for Maine’s potato industry.
- Blueberry Hill Farm. Blueberry Hill Farm in Jonesboro is the center for agricultural research and development for Maine’s wild blueberry industry.
- Highmoor Farm. Highmoor Farm in Monmouth provides research and development programs for Maine’s fruit and vegetable growers.
- J. F. Witter Teaching and Research Center. The Witter Center includes two research farms near the UMaine campus. The Witter Farm is a center for livestock research and animal science teaching.
- Rogers Farm, part of the Witter Center, is a center for sustainable agriculture research.
- Clapp Greenhouse and Lyle E. Littlefield Ornamentals Trial Garden. The greenhouses and trial garden research and teaching facilities in horticulture on the UMaine campus.
Research Laboratories and Facilities
- Analytical Laboratory and Maine Soil Testing Service. Provides analytical services to the public and research staff including analyses of soil, plant tissue, compost, manure, irrigation water, wood ash, fertilizers, organic residuals and other materials for nutrient content, organic matter, lead and other trace elements. Orono campus.
- Dr. Matthew Highlands Pilot Plant. A state of the art facility committed to helping food processors, entrepreneurs, farmers, researchers and students in the food industry. Our equipment and services offer a variety of options for anyone seeking to expand product lines, create value added foods, solve issues in current food products, and scale up recipes for commercial production. Orono campus.
- Food Technology – Process and Product Reviews. Provides process and product reviews to the small businesses of Maine since 1995. Though this program was initially created to serve the people of Maine, current recipients of this service are often from the neighboring states of Vermont and New Hampshire. Orono campus.
- Food Technology – Consumer Testing Center. Specializes in the sensory evaluation of foods. Located in the Dr. Matthew Highlands Pilot Plant on the Orono campus.
- Chemical Food Safety Laboratory. Specializes in the development and modification of GC, HPLC and EIA methods for the analysis of a wide range of natural and man-made chemicals in both food and environmental matrices. Laboratory personnel routinely develop assays specific to client needs. Orono campus.
Maine Agricultural and Forest Experiment Station
5782 Winslow Hall, The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469-5782
Phone: (207) 581-3202E-mail: email@example.com